EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Write it Do it

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
sweetcoop
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Post by sweetcoop »

kp9ssa wrote:a question 4 the builders: did they put out extra pieces
My coach at pratice has never included extra peices but i remember at state two years ago they did have extra peices. At regionals and state in this past year they have said there might be extra peices.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by dudeincolorado »

If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?
SO stressed!
sweetcoop

Post by sweetcoop »

Actually Dude that is what i did at Regionals two years ago and my team took second place
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by 49ers »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.
yes it does but isn't it possible to rehearse a design though?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?
Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

49ers wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.
yes it does but isn't it possible to rehearse a design though?
How would you rehearse a design? You have no idea what the structure is going to be until you get there.
rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?
Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.
Oh my god :shock: That's pretty brutal. I have a tendency to start describing things very thoroughly but then stop with the assumption that there will only be one purple pipe cleaner (for example) for the builder to use- I feel like I'm wasting time when I go into such detail about every piece. Now I don't feel so bad about it lol...
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by 49ers »

well you could get the design you were looking for, but I guess its very unlikely
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by dudeincolorado »

rockhound wrote:
wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?
SO stressed!
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

dudeincolorado wrote:wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?
The writer so one sticker. The builder was given one sheet of stickers. On the sheet there were about twenty different stickers each with a snowman doing or wearing something different.

I have seen other such tricky things. Like the writer saw only saw one blue paperclip so they wrote "blue paperclip..." but I saw five blue toothpicks each a different color (something like navy, cobalt, sky, ocean, and royal).

Return to “2009 Lab Events”