Environmental Chem

ScienceIsMyLife
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Environmental Chemistry

Post by ScienceIsMyLife »

Div C is focusing on Soil Testing. What we've been talking about has to do with Div B, which is on water testing.
I <3 SciOly

2009: 5th Picture This
2008: 3rd Environmental Chemistry
2006: 3rd Disease Detective (Div B)
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

Both are soil testing.
iYOA
State: NJ

Re: Environmental Chem

Post by iYOA »

ScienceIsMyLife wrote:my advice: dont focus all of your attention on the "chem" part of it and remember the "environmental" part too. last year they asked us a bunch of short response questions that covered everything from ddt to red tides to the role of phosphates in an aquatic ecosystem. plus, last year they asked us identification questions for certain chemicals, so make sure you can do that, too.
was this division C?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
ScienceIsMyLife

yeah. im in div c
I <3 SciOly

hupadhyayula
Division: B

Post by hupadhyayula »

I'm in Division B and I'm on the team for this event but I feel as though we don't have enough information for it. What about you guys?
brookefritz22

Post by brookefritz22 »

Um... i have not done this one before. Are there any tests or anything for it. There should be my coach said we did not have any one for this so i figured i would try. Help me out please... :roll:
love laugh and live your life. why is it the people that tell you this are the same ones who prevent it?
brookefritz22

Post by brookefritz22 »

I have NO idea what i am doing here i like just got assigned to do this event. I get that it has to do with soil in B. that is it. HELP! :o
love laugh and live your life. why is it the people that tell you this are the same ones who prevent it?
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

i'm new at this event, too & don't know where to start. Does AP environmental science help with environmental chem? i was thinking about getting info from one of the book for envi. science.
ScienceIsMyLife

def look in an environmental sci book if you arent sure where to go; and look at all the links on the official scioly site. they'll be a big help.

i am rapidly realizing that i have NO CHANCE of medalling on this event for 09 since my coach put my partner on a different team and refuses to put her on my team, even though that one event is her only event (aka the whole reason she joined olympiad) and i am incapable of winning a medal without her assistance. but do they listen? NO. so now this event is depressing me :(
I <3 SciOly

Keyreaper

Post by Keyreaper »

For most of you guys that are worried that you don't have sufficient information. I suggest Googleing all the stuff along with Wiking it. For Div B... Most of the stuff I looked up was. Nutrients for certain plants (e.g. lettuce, corn, tomatoes, potatoes), How to measure NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium), How to read a fertilizer label, How to measure pH in the soil, Table of Elements (well duh its Chem), Testing & Improving Soil, Acid Rain, Acid & Base (Basic) pHs, Soil Types, What leaching means (for soil and drainage of rain)... And a lot of other stuff I looked up. I have a friend that is doing one or two elements of the Table of Elements a day to study... There are also other study methods. You also might go look a the Science Olympia Sites links... Those are somewhat related and helpful for what you will be doing at the competition. Like most of you, Yes, I was stuck into this group and event to study. Even though I dread it, because a lot of this is to absorb all in one night, I still try my hardest because there is only one person from my team doing this event... Most likely to partner with me. Hope this little paragraph helped some... If you have some questions do ask... And I'm sure I or someone else will be willing to answer it. Now coming to me asking for the answers isn't going to work... You must do research on your own :) HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

Edit*-Also don't forget... There is some heating of soil samples on the sheet... So you must know some formulas about mass, etc... But I'm pretty sure they will give that to you...
Image <--- Woooo

"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes"

"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe"

Return to “2009 Lab Events”