Environmental Chem

gyourkoshaven
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Environmental Chem

Post by gyourkoshaven »

I guess I just had 2 really easy tests at regionals and states.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

our test at regional was so easy, we got third place, losing a tiebreaker, the score was 98/100
Cpeterson
State: MN

Post by Cpeterson »

So, I get to do this event at Nationals with no experience because my state doesn't have it as an event. I was wondering if we have to know about alfisols and ultisols and other types of soil. I hope not, because they are confusing.
Avis_de-Incendia
Division: B

Post by Avis_de-Incendia »

Cpeterson wrote:So, I get to do this event at Nationals with no experience because my state doesn't have it as an event. I was wondering if we have to know about alfisols and ultisols and other types of soil. I hope not, because they are confusing.
I don't think you do... it's mainly Ph, concentration, and contaminants, as well as processing of soil for testing.
Hello! :]
Cpeterson
State: MN

Post by Cpeterson »

AsllaPiscu wrote:
Cpeterson wrote:So, I get to do this event at Nationals with no experience because my state doesn't have it as an event. I was wondering if we have to know about alfisols and ultisols and other types of soil. I hope not, because they are confusing.
I don't think you do... it's mainly Ph, concentration, and contaminants, as well as processing of soil for testing.
Thanks.
emilyy18

Post by emilyy18 »

At our states, they asked us what was the dominant soil type in New York, but idk how they could do that at nationals, unless there is one dominant soil type across the country? idk I wouldn't worry about it
St. Gregory the Great Science Olympiad 2009
[[ dynamic planet. road scholar. environmental chem. pentathlon. ]]

States 09
6th- Road Scholar
6th- Penathlon
12th- Env. Chem.
16th- Dynamic Planet. ugh we thought we did so good!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Actually, there's been at least one question on that stuff- it's the USDA soil taxonomy- on every event I've done. Questions like, "What classification of soil is the most fertile?"
Now, that's different from what they asked at NY States; when they asked the dominant soil type, the choices were things like aquic, xeric, etc. Those are just jargon adjectives that have little to do with the USDA taxonomy; the prefix "xer-" just means dry (if I'm not mistaken). Obviously they couldn't ask a question exactly like that at Nats, since they couldn't ask you for a country-wide dominant soil type, but they could ask more general questions like, "What is the dominant soil class above 66.5 N latitude?"- because in the polar regions, the dominant soil class is gelisols, the ones with the permafrost.

In short, yes, you do have to know about them. Sorry.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
The Great Questioner

Post by The Great Questioner »

I think that it is an awesome event. Our team is going to nationals and I am in that event. It was good at regionals, however, the test sucked at state. I am excited to go to nationals and see if the test is good!
The Great Questioner

Post by The Great Questioner »

I was also surprised because at my state competion, they didn't ask a single question about soil taxonomy, but i have it on my notes anyway. Who knows what the national test will have. Go to the official site and print out a practice test. It was very easy. Also, my coach for that event has a list of the possible ideas that could be on the test like what you can prepare for. If you look hard enough, you might find it on the science olypiad website.
gyourkoshaven
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Now, that's different from what they asked at NY States; when they asked the dominant soil type of the state

I've had that type of question happen in a bunch of events at states, especially ecology and this event, but I'm sure, but I doubt it will be on nats, as previously suggested
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...

Return to “2009 Lab Events”