How do you test for soil contaminants?

kirsten417
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you test for soil contaminants?

Post by kirsten417 »

in the rules for enviromental chemistry B division, it talks about how we will have to test for soil contaminants? it also says that hazardous materials will not be used, but materials to simulate them will be. what does this mean? and how can we prepare for it? :?:
2008 medals...
regionals... disease detective- 1st, science crime busters- 2nd, science word- 3rd
states... crave the wave- 2nd, science word- 5th, write-it-do-it-1st, science crime busters- 1st

2009 events-
science crime busters, write-it-do-it, experimental chemistry, and experimental design
zorbak5044

Re: How do you test for soil contaminants?

Post by zorbak5044 »

go to the enviormental chem thread
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by dickyjones »

The thread seems fine to me. Asked a reasonably specific question that hasn't been answered in the long (yet strangely empty) enviro chem thread. Though I guess you one-thread, dead puppy Nazis might disagree...

The tests for contaminants are usually very similar to NPK/pH tests. Make an extraction of a soil sample. Add reagant A, then reagant B; compare to color chart. Know how to use a spec 20 on a sample and then compare that to a curve to find the concentration of the pollutant. Most tests in this event I would expect to be colorimetric. Also, know that a lot of contaminants are just trace nutrients at larger than normal concentrations; others are just heavy metals. I know there are some expensive testing kits that include testing for pollutants such as ferric iron, mercury, etc., but really if I were you, I'd be cheap and just be able to do general labs or NPK tests and learn how to do a written lab quickly and accurately.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

For the NPK test, do I need to buy the kit or can I use chemical in the chemistry class room? Besides, how to you do NPK testing? Thank you so much
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

I would advice buying an NPK test kit. Rapitests cost about $20 online and can be used pretty easily (especially for division B) since it's basically just adding tablets to a soil solution. I do not know of any accurate ways to do soil testing (though there are some labs on soil texture, moisture content, rough OM content that you can do) for nutrients with just the chemicals in your school.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
kirsten417

Post by kirsten417 »

"The thread seems fine to me. Asked a reasonably specific question that hasn't been answered in the long (yet strangely empty) enviro chem thread. Though I guess you one-thread, dead puppy Nazis might disagree..."

haha that was so funny, and thanks!

um but one other question was what the regional tests were like...
were they hands on? or more written?
because i know that some of you have already been to regionals...
thanks!
2008 medals...
regionals... disease detective- 1st, science crime busters- 2nd, science word- 3rd
states... crave the wave- 2nd, science word- 5th, write-it-do-it-1st, science crime busters- 1st

2009 events-
science crime busters, write-it-do-it, experimental chemistry, and experimental design
Mr. Cool
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Mr. Cool »

My Regional test was retarded. There were no experiments. Only an 18 question test. I'm not surprised, though. My Region sucks. However, at an Invitational in Georgia, where THE NATIONAL SUPERVISOR made the test, there were two experiments on the test.
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Our Invitational test was just multiple choice, I think about 50 questions, no lab or anything. That was an invitational, though, so they probably didn't have the time or incentive to set up anything more complicated than that.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
gyourkoshaven
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Mine was 20 questions long, 18 were about knowledge of NPK, but no testing, and the last 2 were pH testing with indicator liquid.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
Mr. Cool
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TN

Post by Mr. Cool »

gyourkoshaven wrote:Mine was 20 questions long, 18 were about knowledge of NPK, but no testing, and the last 2 were pH testing with indicator liquid.
sounds easy
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.

Return to “2009 Lab Events”