Forensics?

13zara
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics?

Post by 13zara »

I was wondering, for glass refraction, are we supposed to know the index of refraction for common glass types, or are we provided with a list of the possible glasses from the "crime scene" and their indexes to compare to our measured/calculated index?
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

To be honest, I have never come across glass refraction at competition. We just have the formula for glass refraction on our note sheet, but we haven't ever needed to use it.
clkx29

Post by clkx29 »

13zara wrote:I was wondering, for glass refraction, are we supposed to know the index of refraction for common glass types, or are we provided with a list of the possible glasses from the "crime scene" and their indexes to compare to our measured/calculated index?
I saw glass refraction come up a few times when I competed. My partner memorized the basic formula and that's pretty much all we needed to know.
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

Does anyone know if forensics is suppose to be an event next year?
SO stressed!
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

I would think yes because the forensics national coordinator is the chair of the science olympiad chemistry committee, so she has the say on what events they have. But that's not based in any hard fact.
genes_girl
Division: Grad

Post by genes_girl »

I would think so because what would they replace it with? It is basically a one of a kind event. They could replace Crimebusters with Can't Judge a Powder, but there isn't anything like that in div C. At least, not that I know of. I could be wrong though.
Indiana University 2012
-- Bio and Spanish Majors

University of Chicago
-- PhD track Molecular Biosciences: Human Genetics
superjenius

Post by superjenius »

My partner and I have been trying to figure out the equation for a successful reaction between benedict's solution and glucose. We have been searching and searching, and now we implore you all for some help. Does anyone know the answer to this question? Help!
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

For Iding sucrose vs glucose use Benedict's Solution. Dissolve both sugars in water in test tubes, add Benedict's, put enough in so there is a light blue tint. Now put the test tubes in to a hot water bath for about 5 min. The glucose should change the Benedict's solution to a creamy orange. While the sucrose stays the same. This is because the glucose is a simple sugar while sucrose is a complex sugar, Benedict's only tests for glucose. Here's a pic.

Was this what you were looking for?
SO stressed!
superjenius

Post by superjenius »

No, we were looking for the acutal equation for the reaction(s).
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by dickyjones »

Image + Cu(2+) = Image + Cu2O.

(D-Glucose (the simple sugar) +Copper (from a benedicts solution complex) = copper oxide (red precipitate) + d-gluconate) in the simplest form...
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

Return to “2009 Lab Events”