Forensics?

chzlover3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics?

Post by chzlover3 »

wexs883198215 wrote:Hey, watts,

You can go to http://www.scioly.org/wiki/2009_Test_Exchange for some tests. You can buy old nationals tests since they sell all of them together, I think.

By the way, has everyone been getting Lugol's and Benedict's solutions at their competitions? The rules say that they are supposed to provide them, but I didn't get them at an invitational AND state, which really screwed us up.

How would you tell sucrose from glucose without the Benedict's?
Indiana state gave us Benedict's; not sure about Lugol's. [My partner did powders while i was doing fibers]
But yeah, that's really lame that they didn't give you those, especially lame that you didn't get them at state!!

I'm not sure how you'd tell them apart without Benedict's...you just...NEED Benedict's!! :lol:
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
adam124218
Division: C

Post by adam124218 »

Lugol's is Iodine. We had it at Indiana State.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

wexs883198215 wrote:Hey, watts,

You can go to http://www.scioly.org/wiki/2009_Test_Exchange for some tests. You can buy old nationals tests since they sell all of them together, I think.

By the way, has everyone been getting Lugol's and Benedict's solutions at their competitions? The rules say that they are supposed to provide them, but I didn't get them at an invitational AND state, which really screwed us up.

How would you tell sucrose from glucose without the Benedict's?
Check the Yahoo Coaches Group for many past invitational tests as well:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/science-o ... 20test.pdf

A few other misc comments based on previous posts:

I believe the purpose of the cobalt blue glass is to mitigate (i.e. filter out) the blue flame of the bunsen burner, so you can see the true color of what is burning.

Lugol's Solution is actually a mix of Potassium Iodide (aq) and Iodide crystals, and can easily be mixed in the lab... No reason that an Event Coordinator should not provide this as well as Benedict's... I'd file a formal protest, or the same Event Supervisor will be back next year doing it to you again.

FYI, I2KI(Lugol's) can only be sold in quantities up to 1 ounce due to it's secondary use in the production of meth, so it really needs to be developed in the lab, and put in your dropper bottles. See wikipedia for more info.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
wexs883198215
State: MD

Post by wexs883198215 »

Ok, thanks. They can expect a protest from me if they pull this at state again :D
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
2011 - 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), RemSensing (2nd), TPS (1st)
2010 - DynPlanet (1st), 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), Compubots (1st)
2009 - Chem Lab (3rd), 4n6 (2nd), Fossils (2nd), PicThis (3rd), WiDi (3rd)
2008 - Fermi Qs (1st), 4n6 (1st), RemSensing (1st)
dyt

Post by dyt »

Umm i was just wondering when you are doing the temperature tests, is are there any that dont change?? That info would be greatly appreciated. Or if u could just seperate them, endo. exo. so i can check my info with urs thanks :] :geek:
astrospirit

Post by astrospirit »

When i did forensics with my partner, we had no clue what we would have to do to get everything done within one hour. I read on here on a previous post that you should do any chromotography done first. We did that, but we underestimate how much time that we needed to spend on the post analsys of the crime. We barely got anything done with the samples collected from the crime scene, if i had any advice for anybody on doing this event in the future, LEARN THE CHEMICALS! The faster you can figure out what all the samples are ,the better off you will be. Make sure to read all the wittness statments as well and plot out a timeline of what and where everybody was durrint the crime.
wexs883198215
State: MD

Post by wexs883198215 »

Hm....
Is it really that useful to plot out a timeline? The plot isn't terribly important imo, just the chemicals and stuff each person is connected with.
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
2011 - 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), RemSensing (2nd), TPS (1st)
2010 - DynPlanet (1st), 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), Compubots (1st)
2009 - Chem Lab (3rd), 4n6 (2nd), Fossils (2nd), PicThis (3rd), WiDi (3rd)
2008 - Fermi Qs (1st), 4n6 (1st), RemSensing (1st)
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

wexs883198215 wrote:Hm....
Is it really that useful to plot out a timeline? The plot isn't terribly important imo, just the chemicals and stuff each person is connected with.
The analysis of the crime constitutes 30% of the overall score. I would think you have NO chance of placing without a delailed and well conceived essay.

You may want to refer to the test called "The Glass Menagerie" at [email protected] which requires you to accurately detail the individual suspects schedules for the last month prior to the crime. In addition, it provides you with a rare exercise in glass refraction (that many had no idea what to do with). I'm told that THE Ohio State competion focused heavily on glass refraction for the second year in a row.

With the addition of entomology a few years ago, Forensic timelines have become critical to solving many of the cases... In fact, I'd say that if you see bugs, you should immediately plan on creating a timeline, if for no other reason than to determine time of death.

I will agree that timelines do not always matter... sometimes it has to do with physical properties or abilities of the suspects (i.e. who is tall enoughto reach the window, or skinny enough to fit through the pet door, etc.), but most of the tests that I write will require a certain amount of critical thinking beyond just identifying chemicals. In the essay portion I'm not looking for regurgitation of facts already identified, I'm looking to see who can tie them together in a logical thought process.

On occassion, I have even been surprised by essays that identify a different suspect than intended, but the team was able to accurately create a logic path that led them to different suspect than I had initially set up... Needless to say, I scored their essay very high, becuase they proved their point!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
timmoose1
State: TX

Post by timmoose1 »

jeez... that seems like a step up from crimebusters. I looked at the tests you get to run and it seems fun though!
Nationals. Science Crime Busters. First. BOO YA.
2nd in Pentathalon
3rd in Environmental Chem
soccer_5456

Post by soccer_5456 »

i cant wait to do this event in div C!
i gotta redeem myself
SO Division C 2012:
Regionals: 1st Forensics, 1st Technical Problem Solving, 1st Chemistry Lab, 4th Remote Sensing
State: 1st Chemistry Lab, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Protein Modeling, 3rd Forensics

Return to “2009 Lab Events”