Forensics?

cyanoacrylateismybff
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics?

Post by cyanoacrylateismybff »

dholdgreve wrote:pH paper can be purchased as "Broad Spectrum" (i.e. 1-14), but can also be purchased as narrow range (i.e. 5-7 or 8-10, etc). In this event, with a half of pH point being critical, I'd make sure that you have narrow range acidic, narrow range alkali, and broad range to see which narrow range to use... The more narrow range will give you much greater color variation and should really help zoom in on the exact pH of the solution

The rules do not indicate quantity of student supplied material, so having three boxes of it should not be an issue, although it may be questioned. :ugeek:
Thanks, I hadn't really thought about that before. My team is good except for plastics pH paper and writeups. We still need to order it... Eek! I should probably do that...

My team is a bunch of procrastinators, including me. I just now finished the logo for our shirts and we're getting them made soon... Also, my bro and his partner built their ballista for trajectory 2 nights before the comp and still got 4th. LOL :lol:
SciOly Events '10
Anatomy+Physiology
Forensics (2nd regionals last year)
Mission Possible

It's not a purse; it's a SATCHEL!!!
wattsworder

Post by wattsworder »

Hey does anyone know if it is possible to find a past forensics nationals or state test online? I've looked everywhere but can't find one.
wexs883198215
State: MD

Post by wexs883198215 »

Oops just realized that someone had asked this question earlier :oops:
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
2011 - 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), RemSensing (2nd), TPS (1st)
2010 - DynPlanet (1st), 4n6 (1st), Fossils (1st), Compubots (1st)
2009 - Chem Lab (3rd), 4n6 (2nd), Fossils (2nd), PicThis (3rd), WiDi (3rd)
2008 - Fermi Qs (1st), 4n6 (1st), RemSensing (1st)
wexs883198215

Post by wexs883198215 »

Hey, watts,

You can go to http://www.scioly.org/wiki/2009_Test_Exchange for some tests. You can buy old nationals tests since they sell all of them together, I think.

By the way, has everyone been getting Lugol's and Benedict's solutions at their competitions? The rules say that they are supposed to provide them, but I didn't get them at an invitational AND state, which really screwed us up.

How would you tell sucrose from glucose without the Benedict's?
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

eww... that's mean I'm not sure about this but when I tested it glucose caramelizes a light amber while sucrose caramelizes a dark brown. But don't take my word for it.
SO stressed!
chzlover3

Post by chzlover3 »

wexs883198215 wrote:Hey, watts,

You can go to http://www.scioly.org/wiki/2009_Test_Exchange for some tests. You can buy old nationals tests since they sell all of them together, I think.

By the way, has everyone been getting Lugol's and Benedict's solutions at their competitions? The rules say that they are supposed to provide them, but I didn't get them at an invitational AND state, which really screwed us up.

Indiana state gave us Benedict's; not sure about Lugol's. [My partner did powders while i was doing fibers]
But yeah, that's really lame that they didn't give you those, especially lame that you didn't get them at state!!

I'm not sure how you'd tell them apart without Benedict's...you just...NEED Benedict's!! :lol:
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
adam124218

Post by adam124218 »

Lugol's is Iodine. We had it at Indiana State.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

wexs883198215 wrote:Hey, watts,

Check the Yahoo Coaches Group for many past invitational tests as well:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/science-o ... 20test.pdf

A few other misc comments based on previous posts:

I believe the purpose of the cobalt blue glass is to mitigate (i.e. filter out) the blue flame of the bunsen burner, so you can see the true color of what is burning.

Lugol's Solution is actually a mix of Potassium Iodide (aq) and Iodide crystals, and can easily be mixed in the lab... No reason that an Event Coordinator should not provide this as well as Benedict's... I'd file a formal protest, or the same Event Supervisor will be back next year doing it to you again.

FYI, I2KI(Lugol's) can only be sold in quantities up to 1 ounce due to it's secondary use in the production of meth, so it really needs to be developed in the lab, and put in your dropper bottles. See wikipedia for more info.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
wexs883198215

Post by wexs883198215 »

Ok, thanks. They can expect a protest from me if they pull this at state again :D
Kuo-Kai
Walter Johnson HS '11

States:
dyt

Post by dyt »

Umm i was just wondering when you are doing the temperature tests, is are there any that dont change?? That info would be greatly appreciated. Or if u could just seperate them, endo. exo. so i can check my info with urs thanks :] :geek:

Return to “2009 Lab Events”