Metric Mastery

sk8lynne
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metric Mastery

Post by sk8lynne »

I just want to see what everyone thought of metric...

Last year I really liked metric....and most people think I am nuts for thinking this but.....i kinda miss it. Becasue it was so hard and we always failed miserably, i thought it was fun....and yet at nationals last year, me and my partner ended up getting 13th place. This was a shocker becasue we both did better in metric than in our anchor events. I hope metric comes back soon!!!
Am I the only one who misses this event or am I just nuts??
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
soccer_5456

Re: Metric Mastery

Post by soccer_5456 »

It was so cool! My partner and I got 10th place last year at nationals! :D
SO Division C 2012:
Regionals: 1st Forensics, 1st Technical Problem Solving, 1st Chemistry Lab, 4th Remote Sensing
State: 1st Chemistry Lab, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Protein Modeling, 3rd Forensics
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I killed at regionals last year, we got 1st, and our coach (who was supervising the event) told us that we beat the 2nd place team by like 20 points. But then I had a conflict at states and our team placed 27th.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Well, I do miss some things about the event... mostly the red hots that our student coach would give me every time I practiced... and the tremendous feeling of accomplishment I got when I figured out how to use calipers XD I actually was pretty good with those calipers. Oh, and I wanted to finally have an event where my knowledge of significant figures would be useful, but then at Nationals the sup said we didn't need them :-(

It was a good low-stress event, because all we were trying to do was beat 23rd (because that's what our team got the year before at Nats)- and in fact we beat it by 10 places, which made me very happy :-)
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
zorbak5044
Division: B

Post by zorbak5044 »

it was awesome last year my partner and i guessed randomly on the exact portion and we actualy got one of them right! :lol:
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

Phenylethylamine wrote:Well, I do miss some things about the event... mostly the red hots that our student coach would give me every time I practiced... and the tremendous feeling of accomplishment I got when I figured out how to use calipers XD I actually was pretty good with those calipers. Oh, and I wanted to finally have an event where my knowledge of significant figures would be useful, but then at Nationals the sup said we didn't need them :-(

It was a good low-stress event, because all we were trying to do was beat 23rd (because that's what our team got the year before at Nats)- and in fact we beat it by 10 places, which made me very happy :-)
I miss the event as well. But overall, I miss Division B. I had a pretty good time throughout my middle school years. I got rejected when I tried to return this year. But anyways, this event needed fast multiplication skills, and we learned how to use a pipette, vernier caliper, and a micrometer. I had some arguments with my partners, so I guess I failed because of that. But this was pretty fun, when you work with your partners well. I can only think of one instance in seventh grade. Phenylethylamine, you use significant figures in Chemistry. (I saw that in my Chemistry book)
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Oh yeah, micrometer, that too... I was trying to remember what it was called before... lol.
Of course, it wasn't on any of the events.

Finally, the sig fig stuff I learned like two years ago will come in handy...
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Phenylethylamine wrote: Finally, the sig fig stuff I learned like two years ago will come in handy...
Not only chemistry but other places as well. I don't quite remember though. :)
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

I loved this event! Lest year at regionals we had a really hard test with volume, time, temperature, air pressure, area, force, mass, and all kinds of hard and interesting stations with different tools units. The supervisor obviously spent a lot of time and had a lot of fun coming up with the stations. It was really fun and crazy, with all kinds of obscure objects to measure. We got 7th in it, and it ended up being my worst event.

So, we practiced REALLY hard to get our place up for State, estimating and measuring any unit of any object we could find.

Then, at state, our event supervisor hadn't even read the rules correctly. He thought that calculators were banned from all portions of the test. When he said this, at first everyone kind of grumbled to their partner, too afraid to confront him. Finally, I politely asked, "Don't the rules say you can have a calculator on the measurement portion, Mr. Event Supervisor, sir?" and an uproar of "Yeah!" and "We're allowed to have calculators!" ensued. He gave in. Then, all the stations were either one of a bunch of identical metal blocks or a bunch of identical note cards. Every measurement was either length, area, or volume in mm or cm. It was so boring.

Anyway, the hard practice completely over-prepared us for the boring state test - We got 1st! Metric Mastery went from my worst event to my best last year. I was really disappointed to find out it was gone.

Return to “2009 Lab Events”