Write It Do It B/C

diamond12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by diamond12 »

What are the WIDI rules in the following situation:

If there is a figure that has the shape of a letter - for eg an 'X", will the team be tiered if the writer says 'The figure looks like an 'X' '? The reason I ask is, would it be considered drawing the picture of the object?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

diamond12 wrote:What are the WIDI rules in the following situation:

If there is a figure that has the shape of a letter - for eg an 'X", will the team be tiered if the writer says 'The figure looks like an 'X' '? The reason I ask is, would it be considered drawing the picture of the object?
Judging from the rules, I'd say that you should say X-shaped piece, and then every time after call it an X (or cross). Then again, I don't do this event. :D
theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA

Post by theoriginalweevil »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

Judging from the rules, I'd say that you should say X-shaped piece, and then every time after call it an X (or cross). Then again, I don't do this event. :D
Well, the X is on the standard keyboard, as a letter. To make it clear that you are using the letter and not a diagram, put it in the quotes? Say..

The two lines cross in the shape of an "X"

Or, if you want to play it really safe, do just as UTF says, just call it a cross. Though if the X is the same size as the rest of the words, it should count as text, not a diagram.
:D
InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

theoriginalweevil wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

Well, the X is on the standard keyboard, as a letter. To make it clear that you are using the letter and not a diagram, put it in the quotes? Say..

The two lines cross in the shape of an "X"

Or, if you want to play it really safe, do just as UTF says, just call it a cross. Though if the X is the same size as the rest of the words, it should count as text, not a diagram.
From my personal experience, I have always said "it looks like an X " and never been tiered both at state and nationals. But it is always good to play it safe if you're unsure!
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
deoxyribonucleicacid

Post by deoxyribonucleicacid »

So when preparing for nationals, how many pieces should my partner and I practice with so we can be ready? I heard last year, it was almost 100 pieces.
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

deoxyribonucleicacid wrote:So when preparing for nationals, how many pieces should my partner and I practice with so we can be ready? I heard last year, it was almost 100 pieces.
I wouldn't go by pieces alone but also complexity. When I did WIDI at nationals in B Division, we had a pile of ~10 pieces of trash. What made it hard was describing folds, location, and crinkles because writers are conditioned to describing a clockwork system of K'nex or Legos, not abstract things like two coffee lids leaning against each other at different angles.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

samlan16 wrote:
deoxyribonucleicacid wrote:So when preparing for nationals, how many pieces should my partner and I practice with so we can be ready? I heard last year, it was almost 100 pieces.
I wouldn't go by pieces alone but also complexity. When I did WIDI at nationals in B Division, we had a pile of ~10 pieces of trash. What made it hard was describing folds, location, and crinkles because writers are conditioned to describing a clockwork system of K'nex or Legos, not abstract things like two coffee lids leaning against each other at different angles.
I suppose you could consider the folds/locations/crinkles as "pieces" since each might be a separate item on the rubric.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

bernard wrote:
samlan16 wrote:
I suppose you could consider the folds/locations/crinkles as "pieces" since each might be a separate item on the rubric.
You could, but the point is that you should expect to have extensive descriptions of each object rather than thoughtlessly slapping together 100 Lincoln Logs.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
aditi
State: PA

Post by aditi »

Trash has got to be confusing :o

Any other weird models at Nats in previous years?
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
Strawberri19

Post by Strawberri19 »

Hey just wondering: as a writer, can I scratch out unwanted paragraphs? Can I cross out words? Or will that be counted as code?

Return to “2015 Lab Events”