Write It Do It B/C

scienceswimmer4
Division: B
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by scienceswimmer4 »

In my two years of doing this event(I know.. very experienced.. jk) I have learned that I usually forgot to do abbreviations unless they are ones used in everyday life. Ex: Inches to In. Centimeters to Cm. My partner and I just basically decided to create different names for various nouns, such as the popsicle stick. we basically called them pop sticks, because it was shorter and easier to write down. TECHNICALLY its not an abbreviation :lol:

As for adjectives, we used simple descriptions most of the time. mini, small, big, light/dark (colored), vertical, horizontal, flat, top, ect...

I have been both a writer and a doer in competition, so if you are stressing about being able to have a common understanding with your partner, take a chill pill and let it all come easily. Good luck to you all!
research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
---
2013 { heredity/food science/widi } *regionals, states*
2014 { heredity/heli/widi } *regionals, states, nationals*
2015 { gliders/bio-process lab/green gen/pic this }
---
nationals results ~ 12th in heredity, 18th in widi
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Alright.
Thanks for the tips, mom and swimmer!
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Welcome.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
GoofyFoofer

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Does anybody have some tips for the doer?
Thanks!
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by azuritemalachite »

GoofyFoofer, I would practice a lot so can get to know the writer's style. During the event, time does matter so be efficient as possible. If you're stuck, re-read that part so you can understand it. If you're a little confused on a part then try to check it so you don't lose major points.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

A few doer tips? Maybe these are really obvious... I don't know.

1) Sometimes, turn off the timer and grab a highlighter. As you work through the build, stop to underline things you want to talk to the writer about. Was something especially well written? Or, hard to understand?
2) On days you don't work with your partner, practice your measurements (angles, distances). Draw two dots 8 cm apart (guess and then measure). Arrange two sticks at 40 degrees (guess then measure). The writer should practice measuring things.
3) If you tend to lose your place in the directions (say, you just did step 5 and you skip 6 and jump to 7), consider grabbing an item and using it as a marker that you move through your instructions.
4) Obvious, but don't be distracted by others in the room. Learn to zone in on your own work.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

GoofyFoofer wrote:Does anybody have some tips for the doer?
Thanks!
I guess this also applies to the writer, but what my team does (6 people doing WIDI) is we all write and then build each others' instructions. We separate into two groups so we do not have to build the same structure that we wrote. This way, we know what the builder wants to see in our instructions, and we are more precise. We typically edit each others' instructions to show that.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Boombloxer2
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boombloxer2 »

Gemma W wrote:To be honest there are probably bigger differences between regions/competitions than between divisions, but C is usually more complex. You're (hopefully) not going to see a lot of Legos or K'nex at C level, but then again who knows you might.
Ya SURREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. LAWL
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Boombloxer2 wrote:
Gemma W wrote:To be honest there are probably bigger differences between regions/competitions than between divisions, but C is usually more complex. You're (hopefully) not going to see a lot of Legos or K'nex at C level, but then again who knows you might.
I have had both Legos and Knex before, but then again one of those was at the GA state tournament and the event was thrown out, so it's not like it mattered. XD
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
GoofyFoofer

Post by GoofyFoofer »

samlan16 wrote:
Boombloxer2 wrote:
I have had both Legos and Knex before, but then again one of those was at the GA state tournament and the event was thrown out, so it's not like it mattered. XD
What do you mean, "the event was thrown out"?!?! :shock:
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH

Return to “2015 Lab Events”