Mr_Lund
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Mr_Lund »

Greetings Writers and Doers!

I am a coach, and have attached a strategy summary that I will be sharing with my WIDI-ers. I'm posting it here for two main reasons:

1) Olympians new to the event may find it as a helpful resource.

2) Seasoned WIDI veterans, if you could, please take a look at it and offer whatever feedback you have for me. What are some good points I bring up, and what are some things I missed and/or should add to it?

Many, many thanks for any help you can offer!

Ever Forward,

Mr. Lund
www.youtube.com/MrLundScience
Attachments
WIDI Strategy.doc
(106.5 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard Feynman
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Mr_Lund wrote:Greetings Writers and Doers!

I am a coach, and have attached a strategy summary that I will be sharing with my WIDI-ers. I'm posting it here for two main reasons:

2) Seasoned WIDI veterans, if you could, please take a look at it and offer whatever feedback you have for me. What are some good points I bring up, and what are some things I missed and/or should add to it?

Ever Forward,

Mr. Lund
http://www.youtube.com/MrLundScience
You certainly covered the important stuff, but one thing that our team struggles with is size. Whenever there are multiple items of the same shape, the writer needs to describe the precise size, color, material, and other unusual characteristics. I use SCAM (size, color, add-ons, material) to remember what I need to describe to avoid ambiguities.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
aditi
Division: B
State: PA

Post by aditi »

samlan16 wrote:
Mr_Lund wrote:Greetings Writers and Doers!

Ever Forward,

Mr. Lund
http://www.youtube.com/MrLundScience
You certainly covered the important stuff, but one thing that our team struggles with is size. Whenever there are multiple items of the same shape, the writer needs to describe the precise size, color, material, and other unusual characteristics. I use SCAM (size, color, add-ons, material) to remember what I need to describe to avoid ambiguities.
Thank you Mr. Lund. I may not be a seasoned WIDI veteran, as this is my first year of WIDI, but I do have a small interjection to the diagram in the document. An important point to add is which way the triangle is faced. Meaning, if the right angle is faced to the left or if it is faced to the right for points could be removed for that. I edited the document and added a few important details in red, which composes for about one page. I included more information about abbreviations and how to trim down sentences all the way.

Also, another idea is to add sections to the document, or two columns, one for the writers and one for the doers. That way, advice can be divided and all the information packed into those 7 pages can be easier and more accessible to read. Finally, for the best document for WIDI, people can take turns editing the document and making their edits a different color. Once Mr. Lund likes their changes, he can make them black Image Gallery

I really liked the idea of comparing each others hands and coming up with rules to use. That was an interesting idea and I will certainly be using that. Thank you!!

Attached is the new and improved document.
WIDI Strategy.doc
(113.5 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
aditi

Post by aditi »

Are we allowed to use carrots and/or underlines in our writing?
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by azuritemalachite »

[aditi] wrote:Are we allowed to use carrots and/or underlines in our writing?
carrots, yes, underlines, no
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
aditi

Post by aditi »

Really? I understand that we are not allowed to use underlines because it is not on the standard keyboard. Carrots are Shift-6 on the keyboard. However, at the Solon Invitational in Ohio, our team for WIDI was tiered down because we had 4 carrot symbols...Does this carrot rule vary from supervisor to supervisor?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

[aditi] wrote:Really? I understand that we are not allowed to use underlines because it is not on the standard keyboard. Carrots are Shift-6 on the keyboard. However, at the Solon Invitational in Ohio, our team for WIDI was tiered down because we had 4 carrot symbols...Does this carrot rule vary from supervisor to supervisor?
No rules about which characters are allowed should vary between tournaments. The rules allow any characters that can be typed on a 101-key keyboard with or without the shift key. Typing 'shift+6' produces the '^' symbol so it is allowed.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
aditi

Post by aditi »

bernard wrote:
[aditi] wrote:Really? I understand that we are not allowed to use underlines because it is not on the standard keyboard. Carrots are Shift-6 on the keyboard. However, at the Solon Invitational in Ohio, our team for WIDI was tiered down because we had 4 carrot symbols...Does this carrot rule vary from supervisor to supervisor?
No rules about which characters are allowed should vary between tournaments. The rules allow any characters that can be typed on a 101-key keyboard with or without the shift key. Typing 'shift+6' produces the '^' symbol so it is allowed.
That is exactly what our WIDI team thought. Will this occur at Regionals or States or Nats? I'm not sure which state created WIDI at Solon, but if what you're saying is right, then they didn't do it right.
Last edited by aditi on February 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

[aditi] wrote:
bernard wrote:
That is exactly what our WIDI team thought. Will this occur at Regionals or States or Nats? I'm not sure which state created WIDI at Solon, but if what you're saying is right, then they didn't do it right.
For every official tournament I've competed in, we have never heard back about our raw scores or other details (such as why we would were tiered, etc.). I think it is best to avoid things you think might get you tiered or disqualified. Think about what everyone else might be using and what might be questionable (to someone who may have only read the rules once before running the event). There's no doubt everyone will be using alphabet letters. When in doubt, don't use it.
Last edited by bernard on February 2nd, 2015, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
aditi

Post by aditi »

Well...It was an invitational...Every team got all of their test papers back.

Return to “2015 Lab Events”