Write It Do It B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Write It Do It B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by silverheart7 »

What are the major differences between Division B & C Write it Do it? As far as I can tell, the rules are similar, so is it the complexity of the model?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Pretty much. The competition will be stiffer, too. But the rules should remain the same.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

To be honest there are probably bigger differences between regions/competitions than between divisions, but C is usually more complex. You're (hopefully) not going to see a lot of Legos or K'nex at C level, but then again who knows you might.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
NoL617
Division: B
State: CA

Post by NoL617 »

Does anyone have any tips on practicing? Any good ways to do it? Thanks! :D
Events :
ENTOMOLOGY
WRITE IT DO IT
PICTURE THIS
BRIDGES
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Yeah, by practicing with your WI/DI buddy! :D
*ahem*
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Actually that's the best answer - practice. Here are a couple of hints:

1) Use the same format each time. Each write up should look about the same.
2) In addition to practicing writing and building, take time to do a "post mortem" and find out what went wrong. Look at each thing different between the model and the build and then look at the instructions to see where things went wrong.
3) Also, make sure that you are on the same page with measurements. If I call this an inch: ----------------- and you call this an inch: ------- then any part of the build that had a distance or size in inches could really be off. One exercise I've done coaching is to have them "put two dots on a page 4 inches apart" or "draw a line that is 30 degrees from the line you just drew." It's a good "warm up" before practice.
4) Swap roles once or twice, as this gives the partner a little time to figure out what the other role is like. A writer who has built a few things will know better how to write. A builder who tries to write a time or two will see that it's a real challenge!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
NoL617
Division: B
State: CA

Post by NoL617 »

What abbreviations do writers like to use? What abbreviations help doers?
I like only abbreviating colors like B for blue, Y for yellow, R for red, BK for black, G for green etc. That way my partner doesn't get confused from all of the different abbreviations. :?: :idea: ;)
Events :
ENTOMOLOGY
WRITE IT DO IT
PICTURE THIS
BRIDGES
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

NoL617 wrote:What abbreviations do writers like to use? What abbreviations help doers?
I like only abbreviating colors like B for blue, Y for yellow, R for red, BK for black, G for green etc. That way my partner doesn't get confused from all of the different abbreviations. :?: :idea: ;)
I've coached this for a few years and have observed the following. OK, they are rather obvious but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated. I've seen students make these mistakes.

1) Don't bother making an abbreviations that you'll not use at least twice more.
2) Don't make your doer have to keep flipping back a few pages to remember that a is YSASWBTFOTC a yellow speckled arch shaped wood block that fits over the cylinder. Just call it an arch instead.
3) Measurements are good candidates for abbreviations.

You get the idea!
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

And as you practice, hopefully the doer will indicate which abbreviations were easy to remember as he built and which ones were confusing. Each WIDI pair will be different. What works for this team won't for that team. That's why it's hard to give general hints for this event.

Except, of course, practice!

Return to “2015 Lab Events”