Can't Judge a Powder B

MareezyWA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by MareezyWA »

Thank you to all who responded. But there were questions about temperature and nearly all the other teams had thermometers. In looking at our state website, there were no rules clarifications posted. We are really thinking that we needed to ask the event supervisor for one... and that is why they looked so flat when all we said was "no" when they asked us if we had one. We should have said, "No, the rules said that event supervisor may provide." Perhaps they thought if we knew the rules, we would ask for it... but this was our first time and we are not sure what to ask the judge just yet. Our coach is going to try to get clarification before state. Thanks again. It makes me very sad that things have to be so confusing to prevent cheating.
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

MareezyWA wrote:Thank you to all who responded. But there were questions about temperature and nearly all the other teams had thermometers. In looking at our state website, there were no rules clarifications posted. We are really thinking that we needed to ask the event supervisor for one... and that is why they looked so flat when all we said was "no" when they asked us if we had one. We should have said, "No, the rules said that event supervisor may provide." Perhaps they thought if we knew the rules, we would ask for it... but this was our first time and we are not sure what to ask the judge just yet. Our coach is going to try to get clarification before state. Thanks again. It makes me very sad that things have to be so confusing to prevent cheating.
Just bring a printout of the rules to all of your events - especially the lab events. When I did CJAP, the "STUDENT MATERIALS" and "SUPERVISOR MATERIALS" were one of the first things listed, and it was written out in a very simple to read list. Don't be afraid to call out the event supervisors for not following instructions - a lot of these people are unpaid volunteers and won't get anything out of this (unlike the competitors, who have a chance of earning medals and bragging rights) so they may or may not care as much.
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

boomvroomshroom wrote:
MareezyWA wrote:Thank you to all who responded. But there were questions about temperature and nearly all the other teams had thermometers. In looking at our state website, there were no rules clarifications posted. We are really thinking that we needed to ask the event supervisor for one... and that is why they looked so flat when all we said was "no" when they asked us if we had one. We should have said, "No, the rules said that event supervisor may provide." Perhaps they thought if we knew the rules, we would ask for it... but this was our first time and we are not sure what to ask the judge just yet. Our coach is going to try to get clarification before state. Thanks again. It makes me very sad that things have to be so confusing to prevent cheating.
Just bring a printout of the rules to all of your events - especially the lab events. When I did CJAP, the "STUDENT MATERIALS" and "SUPERVISOR MATERIALS" were one of the first things listed, and it was written out in a very simple to read list. Don't be afraid to call out the event supervisors for not following instructions - a lot of these people are unpaid volunteers and won't get anything out of this (unlike the competitors, who have a chance of earning medals and bragging rights) so they may or may not care as much.
Make sure your coach brings his or her rules as well in case someone on the team wants to challenge an event for a rules violation.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Maddie14

Post by Maddie14 »

How do you find endothermic and exothermic without using a thermometer?
Maddie14

Post by Maddie14 »

Does anybody know how you find endothermic and exothermic?
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Maddie14 wrote:Does anybody know how you find endothermic and exothermic?
An endothermic rxn absorbs heat, whereas an exothermic releases heat. To determine which type a reaction is, touch the side of the beaker/ spot plate and note any fluctuations in temperature. For more info, this website explains each type from a qualitative standpoint: http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/Matter/EndoExo.htm.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Maddie14 wrote:Does anybody know how you find endothermic and exothermic?
Exothermic: releases heat, so if you touch the side of the beaker it should get hotter. If you have a thermometer, temperature will go up. (Be careful - if you stir too much you can also add heat to your reaction through kinetic energy, and you might see the temperature go up slightly even without any exothermic reaction.)

Similarly, endothermic reactions absorb heat, so the beaker will feel colder and temperature goes down.
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

I know this isn't on topic but if I asked on General they wouldn't know/answer. Soooo does anyone know where 2015-2016 national tourney is? Please reply.

Thanks
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Jaol wrote:I know this isn't on topic but if I asked on General they wouldn't know/answer. Soooo does anyone know where 2015-2016 national tourney is? Please reply.

Thanks
The 2016 National Tournament will be at the University of Wisconsin, Stout. See a full list of future locations here.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

Thanks bernard.

Return to “2015 Lab Events”