Can't Judge a Powder B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Kahler
Been thanked: 0

Can't Judge a Powder

Post by Kahler »

I don't know how to find the density of a powder. Can anyone help me?

(This post was moved to the Can't Judge a Powder event forum - Mod)
asthedeer
Division: C
State: MD

Re: Can't Judge a Powder

Post by asthedeer »

Kahler wrote:I don't know how to find the density of a powder. Can anyone help me?

The density of a powder is mass/volume. So far in the event (I did this event last year too), I haven't actually had to find the density of anything. Just be ready to answer questions about relative density, such as "Is the powder more dense/less dense than ____ (name of reagent)?" In that case, you could stick in as an answer something like- "Observation ##: The powder sinks in/floats in ____ (same name of reagent) , therefore, the powder is more dense/less dense than ____(reagent)"

HIH,
~asthedeer~
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Kahler wrote:I don't know how to find the density of a powder. Can anyone help me?

If they give you a balance and a graduated cylinder, then you can find it. This explains it nicely:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m03532.htm
It's a pretty rare question (like asthedeer said), but I have seen it before. Good luck!
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Basically you need to start by taking the mass of the sample. I recommend taking the mass of the sample and the container first, then pouring it into a different container to mass the original container. You can subtract the two to get the mass of the sample, and that counts as another observation. (WARNING: Do not only give the mass of the sample. That is an inference.) Then, find the volume of the sample by measuring the volume in a beaker. As another observation, divide the mass by the volume. I recommend rounding to 2 decimal places. The SI unit is g/cm^3 or g/mL. Be certain that this is how you measure everything.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
asthedeer

Post by asthedeer »

cupcakegirl wrote:

If they give you a balance and a graduated cylinder, then you can find it. This explains it nicely:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m03532.htm
It's a pretty rare question (like asthedeer said), but I have seen it before. Good luck!
Unless I'm mistaken, you aren't allowed to bring graduated cylinders in competitions tho....

Check out my blog!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Moxyfinkle
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by Moxyfinkle »

Unless I'm mistaken, you aren't allowed to bring graduated cylinders in competitions tho....
She means if they give you a graduated cylinder. You're right, you can't bring one yourself, which is why it's not always asked about.
asthedeer

Post by asthedeer »

Ah I see. :P I didn't notice the "if they give" part. :D

Check out my blog!

Boombloxer2

Post by Boombloxer2 »

asthedeer wrote:Ah I see. :P I didn't notice the "if they give" part. :D
Ya Suuurreeeeeee
Madian

Post by Madian »

Hello, I was just wondering if any of you had any specific suggestions on how to make observations. Also, should we keep referring back to the solution on every observation after or not?
Thanks!

Return to “2015 Lab Events”