asthedeer
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by asthedeer »

Not last year that I know of.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
asthedeer

Post by asthedeer »

robotarmy567 wrote:does anyone know what a "pure substance" is :?
A pure substance is a substance....that's just it....it's a substance, not flour and sugar; not water and oil; not sugar and salt. CJAP only takes a pure substance like flour, or baking soda, or salt; unlike Crime Busters, which takes mixtures of powders.

Check out my blog!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
asthedeer

Post by asthedeer »

Moxyfinkle wrote:
samlan16 wrote:To any coaches out there: we got our school's CJAP tests back from an invitational, and our teams lost points because they answered questions with more than 3 observations. When I competed in this event in B division, there was no such rule. Did the proctors goof, or is this a legitimate rule now that I missed when reading the rules?
It's not an official rule, but some proctors (especially at invitationals) do place a limit on the number of observations you can answer a question with. They're supposed to tell the teams if they do that though. It's best not to put down more than 3 observations unless absolutely necessary.I think the nats proctor also had that same limit, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think there was anything at Nationals last year that had limits on the number of observations.
robotarmy567 wrote:does anyone know what a "pure substance" is :?
A pure substance it just that- a substance. It's not flour and salt, sugar and salt, baking soda and baking powder, but just flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda, unlike Crime Busters, which takes mixtures of powders.

Check out my blog!

Fibonacci924
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

Take as many observations as you possibly can in that time period. If you think you have enough, add some more. I've been doing this event three times now, and the test always changes.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

A couple of comments from an E/C:
I'll take points off if the observations are not directly related to the question (otherwise why wouldn't you just write down all observation numbers for all questions to make sure you are covered?)
Use as many observations as you'd like, just make sure they apply. Time after time, I may ask a question using terms such as cohesive, adhesive, effervescence, angle of repose, etc... Usually the ones that list 6 or 7 observations are the ones that do not understand the meaning of the term used in the question, thus the observations have little to nothing to do with the correct answer, so points are deducted... in some cases all the way down to 0. (Don't think I've ever given a negative score tho)
You are probably far better off focusing on super high quality observations than on quantity of observations... With 100 observations, you probably will not be able to find the ones you need, and they probably will not be of the quality that will land you 5 points.
Reread the rules... Answer the questions with only an observation number when at all possible... Augmenting an observation with additional write in info may actually cost you points as even a great write-in is only worth 2 points.
Quantify your observations whenever possible. Most are very good at qualifying, few quantify.
Look around the room... How can you phrase your observation that will make it just a little better than any other in the room?
Really read the question... Can it be adequately answered with a single observation, or does it require 2 or more to fully answer the question?
These tests are graded on the curve... So at the last invitational, you may have received a 5 for describing the unknown one way, and a 4 this time, using the exact same phrase... as the season progresses, the competition gets stronger... keep up or fall behind. Only the very best observations receive a 5, and its based on tests graded today, not next week or last week... Competitions with 50 or 60 teams will likely require a much higher quality observation than competitions with only 20 or 25 teams.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
MyChemicalReaction

Post by MyChemicalReaction »

Can somebody please give me an example and clarify the difference between a 5 point answer, a 4 point answer, a 3 point answer, etc.? It would be VERY much appreciated.
MyChemicalReaction

Post by MyChemicalReaction »

Is density a observation or infrence? Because it seems like an observation to me, but this one site told me otherwise...
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

MyChemicalReaction wrote:Can somebody please give me an example and clarify the difference between a 5 point answer, a 4 point answer, a 3 point answer, etc.? It would be VERY much appreciated.
I'd suggest reading the post right above yours that explains that each tournament test is unique... a 5 point answer at one could be a 3 point answer at another... Each test is graded on a curve with only the top answers received getting a perfect 5... Sometimes, the best answers received, may not be the perfect answer, but it's the best we received, so even though they are not perfect, they still get the 5. The only thing that should be consistent from 1 test to the next is that you will never receive more than 2 points for a write-in answer. This part is not curved.
Dan Holdgreve

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

MyChemicalReaction wrote:Is density a observation or infrence? Because it seems like an observation to me, but this one site told me otherwise...
Depends how it is worded... To say that the unknown floated in water or sunk in water is no doubt an observation... I think saying that "the substance is heavier than water" could be considered an inference of the substance sunk when added to water. To say that the density of the unknown is greater than water, is most likely going to be ruled an inference.

If you can add a "because" behind your statement, it is probably an inference... "The density of the unknown is greater than water BECAUSE is sunk when placed in it."
If you cannot directly tie one of your senses to the observation, it is probably an inference... Saying that the density is greater than 1 or greater than water does not directly relate to any of your 5 senses... Saying that it sunk in water because I WATCHED IT, involves the sense of sight.

Again, each E/C probably has a slightly different take on it. If in doubt, feel free to ask your E/C if (s)he would consider the density statement an inference or an observation before the event begins... The worst that can happen is that they tell you they can't answer that... I promise they will not take points off for asking a question before the event begins.
Dan Holdgreve

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

dholdgreve wrote:
MyChemicalReaction wrote:Can somebody please give me an example and clarify the difference between a 5 point answer, a 4 point answer, a 3 point answer, etc.? It would be VERY much appreciated.
Each test is graded on a curve with only the top answers received getting a perfect 5... Sometimes, the best answers received, may not be the perfect answer, but it's the best we received, so even though they are not perfect, they still get the 5.
This will differ from supervisor to supervisor. Many will, conversely, come in with a pre-written scoring rubric laying out the criteria in advance such that it's entirely possible that no team competing meets the standard expected to receive a 5 on question #9. There is no provision in the rules that lays out how this is done. It would be nice if there were.

At MyChemicalReaction, then, this event is lacking in assurance, as you can tell. There is a published example if you follow a few links on the National site, but it sets guidelines or suggestions, not extra rules. For that reason, I won't link you (though you're, of course, free to locate it yourself!). Instead, how I would suggest you practice is to take your observations to your coach and have him or her critique your writing. If they can find room for improvement that you, then, address, you're that much closer to impressing the next event supervisor who reads your observations. That's the only safe way to try to get a 5 from what I've been able to tell. There's too much risk of me or anyone else telling you what's 'good enough' for a 5 versus a 4 when we really don't know how you will be scored.

Return to “2015 Lab Events”