Crime Busters B

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by drcubbin »

Given the toxicity of the fumes, will students be burning any polymers (plastics) at the stations to solve their crimes? :o
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

drcubbin wrote:Given the toxicity of the fumes, will students be burning any polymers (plastics) at the stations to solve their crimes? :o
Rule 3.b.iii explicitly states no burn testing.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

Ah yes, I see that. Much appreciated. I was asking because Rule 2. c. iii. states that "the supervisor may provide candle and matches if fibers given." So fibers may be burned during the competition. Am I interpreting this correctly? :roll:
samlan16
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Post by samlan16 »

drcubbin wrote:Ah yes, I see that. Much appreciated. I was asking because Rule 2. c. iii. states that "the supervisor may provide candle and matches if fibers given." So fibers may be burned during the competition. Am I interpreting this correctly? :roll:
Yes, that is correct, and hair may be burned as well.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

Thanks so much! :mrgreen:
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

I have a question about powders regarding mixtures. Will it be indicated whether something is a mixture or not (ie. Labelled something like "Mix") or will it be just stated as being a powder and we have to figure out if it is a mixture? At our regional competition, the mixture was labeled "Mix," which was convenient for my partner and I, but will the same thing be done at States? This is my first time doing mixtures, as our version of the event last year did not include mixtures. :P
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

daydreamer0023 wrote:I have a question about powders regarding mixtures. Will it be indicated whether something is a mixture or not (ie. Labelled something like "Mix") or will it be just stated as being a powder and we have to figure out if it is a mixture? At our regional competition, the mixture was labeled "Mix," which was convenient for my partner and I, but will the same thing be done at States? This is my first time doing mixtures, as our version of the event last year did not include mixtures. :P
Since it's not explicitly addressed in the rules, issues like this will be up to the individual event supervisor.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

chalker wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:I have a question about powders regarding mixtures. Will it be indicated whether something is a mixture or not (ie. Labelled something like "Mix") or will it be just stated as being a powder and we have to figure out if it is a mixture? At our regional competition, the mixture was labeled "Mix," which was convenient for my partner and I, but will the same thing be done at States? This is my first time doing mixtures, as our version of the event last year did not include mixtures. :P
Since it's not explicitly addressed in the rules, issues like this will be up to the individual event supervisor.
Based on what you have encountered in past competitions, what has been done?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by Skink »

It's reasonable enough to expect mixtures to be labeled as such*; I see it all the time. As for how much that actually helps you, I'm unsure. You can tell for many combinations that it's a mixture.

*a good reason for supervisors to do this, aside from being nice, is so that you, as a participant, know that they don't exceed the maximum amount of mixtures that they can give you at your competition level. You can always ask them, too, and see what they say if mixtures are not labeled as such.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Skink wrote:It's reasonable enough to expect mixtures to be labeled as such*; I see it all the time. As for how much that actually helps you, I'm unsure. You can tell for many combinations that it's a mixture.

*a good reason for supervisors to do this, aside from being nice, is so that you, as a participant, know that they don't exceed the maximum amount of mixtures that they can give you at your competition level. You can always ask them, too, and see what they say if mixtures are not labeled as such.

Thank you so much! :)

Return to “2015 Lab Events”