Chem Lab C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Chem Lab C

Postby Jim_R » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:46 pm

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

09821qh
Division: C
State: -

Re: Chem Lab C

Postby 09821qh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 am

Who's excited for this event!? Do any of you know what to expect for kinetics :roll:

computergeek3
State: PA

Postby computergeek3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 am

09821qh wrote:Who's excited for this event!? Do any of you know what to expect for kinetics :roll:

What I would expect for kinetics is determining reaction order (0 order, 1st order, 2nd order) and determining rates of reactions. Additionally, I would expect to find questions about figuring out the rate-determining step of a system of reactions and how that affects the rate of the overall reaction. Any AP/IB textbook should have further explanations of all of that stuff!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach

09821qh

Postby 09821qh » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Thank you! Also, according to the rules, I think determining rate laws will only be for state and national level but just to be safe, I'll be sure to practice them anyway :D

Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Postby Crazy Puny Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:38 am

09821qh wrote:Thank you! Also, according to the rules, I think determining rate laws will only be for state and national level but just to be safe, I'll be sure to practice them anyway :D

I don't even think determining rate laws is the hardest part of kinetics, so that part puzzles me...

mej710
State: NY

Postby mej710 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:47 pm

What are the topics for this year?

XJcwolfyX

Postby XJcwolfyX » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm

stoich and kinetics
Medal Counter: 73

SWAnG
State: MN

Postby SWAnG » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 pm

For exponents and logarithims there is a special rule for sig figs. Are we expected to utilize this or not?

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:07 am

SWAnG wrote:For exponents and logarithims there is a special rule for sig figs. Are we expected to utilize this or not?

SO has an official SigFig policy on the website at: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... 2-5-12.pdf

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

SWAnG

Postby SWAnG » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 am

chalker wrote:
SWAnG wrote:For exponents and logarithims there is a special rule for sig figs. Are we expected to utilize this or not?

SO has an official SigFig policy on the website at: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... 2-5-12.pdf

Thanks! I'm assuming we use the multiplication/division rules for exponents and logarithms then?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:07 pm

SWAnG wrote:
chalker wrote:

Thanks! I'm assuming we use the multiplication/division rules for exponents and logarithms then?

Take a look at this link. It does a good job of explaining why the significant figure rules are the way they are. However, I cannot say that these rules are "official" since they are not on the Official Science Olympiad website.

Significant Figure Rules for Logarithms: When you take the log of a number with N significant figures, the result should have N decimal places. The number in front of the decimal place indicates only the order of magnitude. It is not a significant figure.

Significant Figure Rules for Exponents: When raising 10 to a power: If the power of 10 has N decimal places, the result should have N significant figures. The rule for raising e to a power is similar.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

SWAnG

Postby SWAnG » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 am

I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:22 pm

SWAnG wrote:I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.

So even in Division C I'm going to have to ask all the supervisors about sigfigs?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Unome wrote:
SWAnG wrote:I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.

So even in Division C I'm going to have to ask all the supervisors about sigfigs?

If you follow the rules above, I can't imagine a situation where you'd be penalized. So I'm not sure that you'd need to explicitly ask about it everytime, although you always are allowed to.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Catie314
State: CO

Postby Catie314 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:09 am

Does anyone know of common labs that are likely to be used for this event this year?
We're all good stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" ~ 11th Doctor

Return to “2015 Lab Events”