Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by bernard »

SWAnG wrote:
chalker wrote:
SWAnG wrote:For exponents and logarithims there is a special rule for sig figs. Are we expected to utilize this or not?
SO has an official SigFig policy on the website at: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... 2-5-12.pdf
Thanks! I'm assuming we use the multiplication/division rules for exponents and logarithms then?
Take a look at this link. It does a good job of explaining why the significant figure rules are the way they are. However, I cannot say that these rules are "official" since they are not on the Official Science Olympiad website.

Significant Figure Rules for Logarithms: When you take the log of a number with N significant figures, the result should have N decimal places. The number in front of the decimal place indicates only the order of magnitude. It is not a significant figure.

Significant Figure Rules for Exponents: When raising 10 to a power: If the power of 10 has N decimal places, the result should have N significant figures. The rule for raising e to a power is similar.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SWAnG
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SWAnG »

I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SWAnG wrote:I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.
So even in Division C I'm going to have to ask all the supervisors about sigfigs?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:
SWAnG wrote:I agree those are the correct ways to do them. However scioly has no policy on it other than the multiplication one... And a lot of supervisors don't know the rules.
So even in Division C I'm going to have to ask all the supervisors about sigfigs?

If you follow the rules above, I can't imagine a situation where you'd be penalized. So I'm not sure that you'd need to explicitly ask about it everytime, although you always are allowed to.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Catie314
State: CO

Post by Catie314 »

Does anyone know of common labs that are likely to be used for this event this year?
We're all good stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" ~ 11th Doctor
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Catie314 wrote:Does anyone know of common labs that are likely to be used for this event this year?
We are expecting basic rxns for stoichiometry followed by determining the rate laws for the kinetics part (which would mean varying the quantities of the reactants).
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Catie314
State: CO

Post by Catie314 »

samlan16 wrote:
Catie314 wrote:Does anyone know of common labs that are likely to be used for this event this year?
We are expecting basic rxns for stoichiometry followed by determining the rate laws for the kinetics part (which would mean varying the quantities of the reactants).
Thank you. That was quite helpful.
We're all good stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" ~ 11th Doctor
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote:

If you follow the rules above, I can't imagine a situation where you'd be penalized. So I'm not sure that you'd need to explicitly ask about it everytime, although you always are allowed to.
When in doubt, just use three lol
But if you really want to, no harm in being that annoying kid that asks all these clarification questions. Better safe than sorry, right?
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

Just wondering, what kinds of things are people putting in their binders? Because as far as I can tell the event is mostly calculation, aside from some of the qualitative analysis stuff and reaction prediction....
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Gemma W wrote:Just wondering, what kinds of things are people putting in their binders? Because as far as I can tell the event is mostly calculation, aside from some of the qualitative analysis stuff and reaction prediction....
random trivia? and notes and charts too, I guess. We don't even use 90% of it half the time but oh well :)

Return to “2015 Lab Events”