Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by Gemma W »

Dhruvster wrote:Hey I had two questions
Has anyone who has done this event at nats know the time constraints that they give us there. Like the whole 50 min for both the test/onsite or are they split.
Also does anyone know how much the creative additions are actually worth. I've been to tournaments where they are 4/40 and other where they are about 16 out of 40, and the nationals rubric from 2012 has them being about 16/40? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.
Thanks!
More specifically, creative additions are worth 1 pt each at invitationals, 2 pts each at regionals, 3 pts each at states, and 4 pts each at nationals. Since you can have a maximum of four creative additions (or a total number of points which would correspond to full credit on four additions), that comes out to 4 points at invites and 16 points at nats.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Dhruvster
State: TX

Post by Dhruvster »

Gemma W wrote:
Has anyone who has done this event at nats know the time constraints that they give us there. Like the whole 50 min for both the test/onsite or are they split.
Also does anyone know how much the creative additions are actually worth. I've been to tournaments where they are 4/40 and other where they are about 16 out of 40, and the nationals rubric from 2012 has them being about 16/40? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.
Thanks!
More specifically, creative additions are worth 1 pt each at invitationals, 2 pts each at regionals, 3 pts each at states, and 4 pts each at nationals. Since you can have a maximum of four creative additions (or a total number of points which would correspond to full credit on four additions), that comes out to 4 points at invites and 16 points at nats.
Thank you so much for the clear answer. Just a quick followup is (at nats for example) is that 16 out of a total of 40 or 16 extra in addition to 40 points?
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

Dhruvster wrote:
Gemma W wrote:
Thanks!
Thank you so much for the clear answer. Just a quick followup is (at nats for example) is that 16 out of a total of 40 or 16 extra in addition to 40 points?
That is 16/40 points. Of course, that also means that the rubric is much more specific about what you can get credit for, so it's possible to have 4 appropriate creative additions and not get all 16 points. Correspondingly, the other points are allocated differently as well. There are past nationals rubrics posted on the CBM website, if you want to get an idea of the standards.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

Thanks!
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

So how are you guys practicing for the onsite builds? Just like the active sites of the proteins they posted to the website?
elephantower
Division: C
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

Dhruvster wrote:So how are you guys practicing for the onsite builds? Just like the active sites of the proteins they posted to the website?
That's what we did.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

elephantower wrote:
Dhruvster wrote:So how are you guys practicing for the onsite builds? Just like the active sites of the proteins they posted to the website?
That's what we did.
Thanks! Yeah since you don't find out the build before you enter the room I suppose thats the best you can do.
Hey another quick thing, how are you guys thinking of transporting your protein out of state, like on a plane without the folding getting all mixed up.
elephantower
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

Dhruvster wrote:
elephantower wrote:
That's what we did.
Thanks! Yeah since you don't find out the build before you enter the room I suppose thats the best you can do.
Hey another quick thing, how are you guys thinking of transporting your protein out of state, like on a plane without the folding getting all mixed up.
Our team usually ships the materials for builds and assembles them onsite, with varying degrees of success.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Dhruvster wrote:
elephantower wrote:
That's what we did.
I'm not experienced with how well things survive shipping, but could you just put it in a box? Of course you would need some adjustments because of how malleable the minitoobers are, but hopefully they are minimal.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
annaphase

Post by annaphase »

Bernard wrote:
Dhruvster wrote:Thanks! Yeah since you don't find out the build before you enter the room I suppose thats the best you can do.
I'm not experienced with how well things survive shipping, but could you just put it in a box? Of course you would need some adjustments because of how malleable the minitoobers are, but hopefully they are minimal.
I know it's not quite the same, but for states we had a seven hour drive and we were required to keep stuff under the coach bus so to protect my baby (the protein haha) I put it in a large wooden crate. For some context, my protein itself was suspended within a frame so the crate around it just ensured that it didn't get banged around by other stuff. We also carefully marked the crate with "THIS SIDE UP" and "PROTEIN MODELING-PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" and it did survive so...yeah
"What are the squiggly things for?"~Protein Modeling
"150 degrees Celsius? Either this graph is wrong, or the only place this enzyme is active is in pigeon." ~Cell Bio

Return to “2015 Lab Events”