Has anyone actually done this event before? Any tips/what to expect
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by boomvroomshroom »

alwaysfaith wrote:Has anyone actually done this event before? Any tips/what to expect
There's models and rules on the soinc website for you to look at. It's mostly straightforward. This event is actually a combo of engineering, study, and lab; there's a model you have to build beforehand, and on-site model, and a written test (at least, that's how it's supposed to go; some proctors don't read the rules and do it wrong, but oh well).
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

My son is doing PM now and my daughter, now in college, did this years ago. All three people will keep busy all hour if the event is run to rules. Expect the test to be shorter than most SO tests (which means mistakes cost even more). It wasn't hard for our current team to fill the info sheets.

PM really benefits from teamwork so make a strategy for your threesome that allows each of you to focus on one task during competition, but also allow all three of you to double-check the others' work (so perhaps you are the folder - immediately start folding the onsite and when you are done, look over the answers the test-taker wrote).

This event is really exciting because it is dealing with cutting edge technology and discoveries. We're going to see a lot more of this in the future and many lives will be improved and lengthened with protein and gene manipulation.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Dhruvster
State: TX

Post by Dhruvster »

Hey so I was looking at the old forums and it seems that the pre builds are graded very harshly at nats to the point that the difference between 1st and 2nd was be less than a point. Does anyone who has been to nats have any advice on how to nail the creative additions and base protein to not lose dumb points and of the like.
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

Also is everyone using both sides of the notecard or just one? I wasn't really sure
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

alwaysfaith wrote:Has anyone actually done this event before? Any tips/what to expect
One of the things which really surprised me is how nitpicky the graders are of this event. At the more competitive tournaments it really comes down who has the most perfect model and get an extra half a point. The other thing is that the tests are really what decides who wins. Its only 10 MC and 3 short answers and worth 30 points/100.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Dhruvster wrote:Also is everyone using both sides of the notecard or just one? I wasn't really sure
This is a great question, I will send a FAQ...
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

fozendog wrote:
Dhruvster wrote:Also is everyone using both sides of the notecard or just one? I wasn't really sure
I sent one and all they replied was "See general rule 1" so I assume that is a yes? lol
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Dhruvster wrote:
fozendog wrote:
I sent one and all they replied was "See general rule 1" so I assume that is a yes? lol
The rules don't explicitly require that you use only one side or both sides, so it seems like they don't care about how many sides you use (so you can use both).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Dhruvster wrote:
fozendog wrote:
Typically when we reply like that, it's to point out that most things are allowed by default. You should familiarize yourself with the general rules if you haven't:
http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

"1. Actions and items (e.g., tools, notes, resources, supplies, electronics, etc.) are permitted, unless they are explicitly excluded in the rules, are unsafe, or violate the spirit of the problem."

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2015 Lab Events”