Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by balsa »

bernard wrote: I'm not experienced with how well things survive shipping, but could you just put it in a box? Of course you would need some adjustments because of how malleable the minitoobers are, but hopefully they are minimal.
we usually just carry them on with us on the plane / the car. We made our protein case modular, and we set it up the night before competitions.
Troy HS Science Olympiad
2015 Events: Protein Modeling, Geologic Mapping, Entomology
cena
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cena »

Do any of you guys know for certain what part of the TAL Effector we'll be asked to model for the state onsite build?
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

cena wrote:Do any of you guys know for certain what part of the TAL Effector we'll be asked to model for the state onsite build?
I would guess the active site most likely, but its impossible to know until you get into the room. The onsite build is supposed to be based on how good you are folding on the fly. :D
mullinfinn

Post by mullinfinn »

Does anyone know if we are allowed to paint or color our models to distinguish between the different sections?
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

mullinfinn wrote:Does anyone know if we are allowed to paint or color our models to distinguish between the different sections?
The pre-build? Yes, definitely. For the secondary structures I think adding this looks really good.
The on-site...I don't think so.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Gearbox
State: PA

Post by Gearbox »

fozendog wrote:
mullinfinn wrote:Does anyone know if we are allowed to paint or color our models to distinguish between the different sections?
The pre-build? Yes, definitely. For the secondary structures I think adding this looks really good.
The on-site...I don't think so.
I painted my Secondary structures on the pre-build. It makes it really clear to thr judges what ur Secondary structures are.
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

frogzorz
State: PA

Post by frogzorz »

Gearbox wrote:I painted my Secondary structures on the pre-build. It makes it really clear to thr judges what ur Secondary structures are.
How's paint working out for you? We've used markers to color our structures, and it gets suuuuper messy whenever we touch them...even when they're dry.
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

frogzorz wrote:
Gearbox wrote:I painted my Secondary structures on the pre-build. It makes it really clear to thr judges what ur Secondary structures are.
How's paint working out for you? We've used markers to color our structures, and it gets suuuuper messy whenever we touch them...even when they're dry.
We used paint intended for plastic and its been working rather well
sscharter
State: DE

Post by sscharter »

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone know what the teams should exactly expect at the national competition. No doubt, I am guessing from the previous comments, that our prebuilds will be graded very harshly. Is the test and onsite builds graded on such harsh curves as well?
Dhruvster

Post by Dhruvster »

sscharter wrote:Hey, so I was wondering if anyone know what the teams should exactly expect at the national competition. No doubt, I am guessing from the previous comments, that our prebuilds will be graded very harshly. Is the test and onsite builds graded on such harsh curves as well?
Yes for sure. It comes down the half a point range between like 1st and 2nd. Test: you need a perfect multiple choice and a near perfect free response. Prebuild varies, but it graded very harshly and very meticulously. Onsite: is graded insanely harshly, there is like only 1-2 teams every year who get perfect on the onsite. aka Its a rough lyfe

Return to “2015 Lab Events”