Technical Problem Solving C

blindmewithscience
Division: C
State: NV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Technical Problem Solving C

Post by blindmewithscience »

olyweeah wrote:Thank you! I already downloaded all of the case files, but I need to *beg* my teacher to order at least some of the probes but they're uber expensive (just the EasyLink to connect the sensors costs $59...) and my district sucks. Quite honestly, we probably won't need to worry about the sensors until state, but then everyone will be studying for extra events (this is my districts 2nd year, and we only do like 15 events at regionals... And this year I'm moving on from B to C so it's like all new) so it's better to do it now. Do you (or anyone else really) have any ideas of what we can do until we get the necessary equipment?
Yea, for a lot of the equipment, the cost of them is high enough that buying them isn't worth it, especially the colorimeter ($115 for something that would only be used in science olympiad...). It says in the rules sheet that any sensors used will be demonstrated by the supervisor. Does your school use the Vernier Labquest or Labquest Mini, or have any sensors at all? From my experience, using the interfaces of an N-spire and Vernier with sensors are nearly identical, and the Labquest could be good practice.
Nevada state SO occurs on tau/2 day. Support the correct mathematical constant with all tauists.
http://www.tauday.com/tau-manifesto

Event: Regional/States
Astronomy: x/:(
Bungee: 3/3
Compound Machines: x/1
TPS: x/:(
olyweeah
State: IL

Post by olyweeah »

blindmewithscience wrote:
olyweeah wrote:Thank you! I already downloaded all of the case files, but I need to *beg* my teacher to order at least some of the probes but they're uber expensive (just the EasyLink to connect the sensors costs $59...) and my district sucks. Quite honestly, we probably won't need to worry about the sensors until state, but then everyone will be studying for extra events (this is my districts 2nd year, and we only do like 15 events at regionals... And this year I'm moving on from B to C so it's like all new) so it's better to do it now. Do you (or anyone else really) have any ideas of what we can do until we get the necessary equipment?
Yea, for a lot of the equipment, the cost of them is high enough that buying them isn't worth it, especially the colorimeter ($115 for something that would only be used in science olympiad...). It says in the rules sheet that any sensors used will be demonstrated by the supervisor. Does your school use the Vernier Labquest or Labquest Mini, or have any sensors at all? From my experience, using the interfaces of an N-spire and Vernier with sensors are nearly identical, and the Labquest could be good practice.
I'm not sure... It's possible that one of the other science departments might have some, and my teacher said that she'd ask, but no sensors were found as of right now. I think we'll just have to find a way to raise $411...
forensics and chem lab :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

blindmewithscience wrote:especially the colorimeter ($115 for something that would only be used in science olympiad...).
Some schools use the colorimeter for Beers law labs (concentration measurement by absorption of light) :P

But as to the sensors, I think most of the practicing I ever did for TPS didn't really use sensors as much as it was working on the concepts. In our case, anytime the sensors were used, instructions were given on how to use them, and that's really the only trick. Other than that a temperature probe is the same as a thermometer, the force probe is a scale, etc. That being said, it's hard to find a colorimeter to replace the probe, same with the motion detector, but I don't think SciOly would write the rules in such a way that you need to buy $400 worth of equipment just to be competitive at a regional contest.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
blindmewithscience

iwonder wrote:Some schools use the colorimeter for Beers law labs (concentration measurement by absorption of light) :P

But as to the sensors, I think most of the practicing I ever did for TPS didn't really use sensors as much as it was working on the concepts. In our case, anytime the sensors were used, instructions were given on how to use them, and that's really the only trick. Other than that a temperature probe is the same as a thermometer, the force probe is a scale, etc. That being said, it's hard to find a colorimeter to replace the probe, same with the motion detector, but I don't think SciOly would write the rules in such a way that you need to buy $400 worth of equipment just to be competitive at a regional contest.
olyweeah wrote:I'm not sure... It's possible that one of the other science departments might have some, and my teacher said that she'd ask, but no sensors were found as of right now. I think we'll just have to find a way to raise $411...
Unfortunately, my school isn't one that has a real use for it in physics or chemistry. Olyweeah, if you are unable to raise the funds, I'd also suggest taking a look at videos on youtube on how to use the probes, such as these ones for the colorimeter, motion, force. In a bit of a rush right now, can't find one for temperature, but there probably is one somewhere.
Nevada state SO occurs on tau/2 day. Support the correct mathematical constant with all tauists.

alwaysmatts

Post by alwaysmatts »

Hey guys so this is my first year doing TPS~

So I was wondering what will usually be the depth of the questions? Will we be able to solve them just by plug it into the formula, or it involves some deeper thoughts? Also, will the lab stations works like the ones in chem lab which one person will be able to complete the questions while the other person do the lab?
Scioly <3
aquestion

Post by aquestion »

I am still entirely confused by the wording of the rules this year.

While it is entirely different from previous years, "Physical, not chemical, evidence" means what? How can you run a colorimeter without using any chemicals? Unless they mean something else entirely by chemical evidence, I don't see how you can even properly incorporate chemistry, let alone a colorimeter, for this kind of exam...
computergeek3
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by computergeek3 »

alwaysmatts wrote:Hey guys so this is my first year doing TPS~

So I was wondering what will usually be the depth of the questions? Will we be able to solve them just by plug it into the formula, or it involves some deeper thoughts? Also, will the lab stations works like the ones in chem lab which one person will be able to complete the questions while the other person do the lab?
I did TPS last year. Admittedly, the rules were pretty different (the event focused on electrochemistry and thermochemistry). The questions are typically fairly in-depth and require some understanding of what was happening in the experiments being done. As for the division of labor, expect that you will master one part of the event and your partner will master the other. For example, I did electrochemistry and my partner did thermochemistry. The event (as I know it) was set up to involve questions that could only be answered by completing the experiment, and having two people do one experiment is simply poor time management.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

just got put into the event... am i the only one who is thoroughly confused by the vague vague rules?
blindmewithscience

globetrotter wrote:just got put into the event... am i the only one who is thoroughly confused by the vague vague rules?
Ah, welcome to the world of TPS.
With this event, you will be put into a forensics situation. You need to be able to collect and analyze data from a motion detector, force sensor, temperature probe, or colorimeter to make a conclusion about a crime scene using your knowledge of physics.
With the motion detector, you should have knowledge of kinematics. With the force sensor, forces. Temperature probe, thermodynamics (or in reality, anything that has temperature in it, like the ideal gas law, Newton's law of cooling, etc.). With the colorimeter, know Beer's law and concentration.
If your school has any Vernier Equipment (the LabQuest system), see if they have any of the mentioned probes, and try to get familiar with their usage. If not, see my post earlier on this forum with youtube videos so that you can figure out how they are used. (Note that at regionals and states, they may simply provide you with data, but I wouldn't count on not using them).
Also note that the rules specifically state that the event is based on "physical, NOT CHEMICAL evidence".
Hopefully that gets most of what the event's about/

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Thanks, blindmewithscience. When the rule clarifications say that the two stations will be on the same topic, does that mean there will be two different labs about the same thing?

Return to “2015 Lab Events”