Experimental Design B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Experimental Design B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
HeavyHitter406
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

I'm new to division C...how do you do Standard of Deviation? That is part of the Statistics in C, right?
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
actionpotential

Post by actionpotential »

Hey Heavyhitter!

So I've always been confused by that big complicated expression myself. Standard deviation is basically measure of how spread out your data values are.

Analyzed step by step:

1. Take the mean of the data. (Symbol is x with bar over it)
2. For each data point, subtract mean from the data point. Then square this difference.
3. Add up the squares.
4. Divide this sum by number of terms minus 1. (Symbol of number of terms is n.)
5. Take square root.

For example:

Data set: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

1. Mean = 5
2 and 3. (1 minus 5)^2 + (3 minus 5)^2 + ... = 40
4. 40 divided by (5 minus 1) = 8
5. Square root of 8 = 2.828

Standard Deviation = 2.828

Note:If your data includes possible data points for a population, then in step 4 you would instead divide by the number of terms. But if you're working with a sample of the data, which is probably the case in XPD, you divide by number of terms minus 1.

Ex. If you're analyzing the height of ALL students in your grade level, then you divide by number of data values. If you analyze the height of a randomly selected, representative sample of students in your grade level, you divide by number of data values minus 1.

Alternatively, since you can calculate Standard Deviation on your Scientific/Graphing calculator. Plug data in Stat, and use 1-var stats. Standard deviation is round-greek symbol with line out.

Good luck :D
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

actionpotential wrote:Hey Heavyhitter!

So I've always been confused by that big complicated expression myself. Standard deviation is basically measure of how spread out your data values are.

Analyzed step by step:

2. For each data point, subtract mean from the data point. Then square this difference.
3. Add up the squares.
4. Divide this sum by number of terms minus 1. (Symbol of number of terms is n.)
5. Take square root.

For example:

1. Mean = 5

Note:If your data includes possible data points for a population, then in step 4 you would instead divide by the number of terms. But if you're working with a sample of the data, which is probably the case in XPD, you divide by number of terms minus 1.

Ex. If you're analyzing the height of ALL students in your grade level, then you divide by number of data values. If you analyze the height of a randomly selected, representative sample of students in your grade level, you divide by number of data values minus 1.

Alternatively, since you can calculate Standard Deviation on your Scientific/Graphing calculator. Plug data in Stat, and use 1-var stats. Standard deviation is round-greek symbol with line out.

Standard deviation is somewhat different from other statistics needed for this event. Unlike the mean, which is an average (a reference number), or the range, (a specific reference point for data values), standard deviation is how much your data should deviate from the mean. Within +/- 3 standard deviations of the mean, (if your mean is 5 and your deviation 1, that would be from points 2 through 8) around 97% of your data should be there. It makes a nice bell curve, if your data is good. Something like 70 ish % should be one standard deviation away.

So be careful when explaining the significance of this particular stat
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Oh... I always did standard deviation without the squares.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Apart from the usual mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and line of best fit, what are some other statistics that might come in handy at the competition(divison b)
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

awesome90220 wrote:Apart from the usual mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and line of best fit, what are some other statistics that might come in handy at the competition(divison b)
I think they look for range (highest data value-lowest data value).

HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

actionpotential wrote:Hey Heavyhitter!

Analyzed step by step:

3. Add up the squares.
5. Take square root.

For example:

1. Mean = 5

Thanks! I will have to look through a couple times to make sure I've got it, but seems legit! :]

Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Does anyone know if Division B people get bonus points for doing Standard Deviation? Also, does anyone have any pointers on how to get maximum points (and or bonus points)?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Hi Panda! No, you do not receive extra credit or extra points for having Standard Deviation for Division B.

If you would like tips and hints about the event, please join us on the IRC Chat (Chat button on the top bar) or PM me! :)
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2015 Lab Events”