Experimental Design B/C

samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by samlan16 »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Has anyone thought of including "analyze quantitative data with statistical tools, such as T-Test, Chi-Square test, etc" in the recommendations? I only relatively recently learned more about statistics and ExCel, so just wondering if this crossed anyone else's mind.
My partner and I kind of did this last year being overzealous about taking AP Stats, but (at least in GA) it gives you no advantage because they want to see how you would adjust the experiment if you had no time or material constraints. If you really want to, you can do an inferential stat in the actual stats section (but once again, no advantage to it because you can simply do standard deviation).
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
CulturallyScientific
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by CulturallyScientific »

samlan16 wrote:
CulturallyScientific wrote:Has anyone thought of including "analyze quantitative data with statistical tools, such as T-Test, Chi-Square test, etc" in the recommendations? I only relatively recently learned more about statistics and ExCel, so just wondering if this crossed anyone else's mind.
My partner and I kind of did this last year being overzealous about taking AP Stats, but (at least in GA) it gives you no advantage because they want to see how you would adjust the experiment if you had no time or material constraints. If you really want to, you can do an inferential stat in the actual stats section (but once again, no advantage to it because you can simply do standard deviation).
Oh, okay. We'll just stick to standard deviation then. Thanks salman16!
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
flash2705
Division: B
State: MD

Post by flash2705 »

I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
Life is life. Science Olympiad is also life. You signed up for it, deal with it.
chinesesushi
Division: C

Post by chinesesushi »

flash2705 wrote:I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
You're in division B, I don't think you have to worry about it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong XD.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

chinesesushi wrote:
flash2705 wrote:I don't speak nerd, so can you please explain what you're talking about?
You're in division B, I don't think you have to worry about it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong XD.
If flash2705 is asking about standard deviation, the rule 4.j. allows both Div. B and C to choose from "mode or range or standard deviation or other relevant statistics."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

bernard wrote:
chinesesushi wrote:
If flash2705 is asking about standard deviation, the rule 4.j. allows both Div. B and C to choose from "mode or range or standard deviation or other relevant statistics."
I may be wrong, but I am 98% sure that B doesn't need to do standard deviation and it doesn't change the score at all if they do.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Panda Weasley wrote:
I may be wrong, but I am 98% sure that B doesn't need to do standard deviation and it doesn't change the score at all if they do.
In nerdspeak, that would be "With 98% confidence, B division does not need to do standard deviation." (stats jokes XD)

Anyway, inferential stats deals with proving that a correlation exists between two variables by showing that the probability it happened by chance is too low. With a graphing calculator, the test does not take too long, but stats of central tendency (i.e. mean, median, mode) and stats of variation (one of which is stan. dev.) usually suffice for ExpD.

One more thing: flash2705, please get used to nerdspeak. You're in SciOly, after all.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
MariaK
State: NY

Post by MariaK »

Do the event supervisors usually provide an objective or topic, or are we left on our own to come up with an experiment?
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

This is my second year of Experimental Design (my favorite event <3) and the first year in Division C. I can't wait until the regional tournament (which is in one week! EEK!).
MariaK wrote:Do the event supervisors usually provide an objective or topic, or are we left on our own to come up with an experiment?
Topic/Question Area- What the event supervisors give to the competitors. This topic can be as vague as "physics" and as specific as "Make an experiment related to the number and types of beans in the cups". Your statement of problem must be related to this topic.

Statement of problem- This is the question you create for your experiment. This should be related in some way to the topic. For example, if the topic was "Physics", then you should make a question based on physics.
The question is usually in "How does (independent variable) affect (dependent variable)?" form, but you can choose any format.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

MariaK wrote:Do the event supervisors usually provide an objective or topic, or are we left on our own to come up with an experiment?
Yes. Normally on the test it will give you a prompt of some sort. Normally it is very generic but I have also had test where it's been vary vague. Within that topic you design your own experiment.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Return to “2015 Lab Events”