Bio-Process Lab B

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 551
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby rfscoach » October 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm

It is usually run as a station event with lots of different kinds of measuring, graph and diagram interpretation as relates to biology.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

JenSquared
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: November 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby JenSquared » December 1st, 2014, 9:07 am

I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct place to post things, but I've noticed that some of the information on the Scioly Wiki page for Bio Process matches exactly what is on this site.
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/ba ... -parts.htm
Nitric acid acts onto trousers.

ssb4ever
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 11th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby ssb4ever » December 2nd, 2014, 11:05 pm

So after doing my research (reading rules, the powerpoint, training handout, etc) I've noticed that there was no significant mentioning of having to answer biology related questions or any tests of basic biology concepts at competitions in any of the official documents. All that was mentioned was the ability to utilize and identify lab tools, demonstrate lab procedures, as well as interpreting data and making observations/inferences. I want to be certain whether or not we will be tested on biology concepts this year, because the test exchange only has older tests and rules may have changed :?: :?: . I also want to mention that it states straigh from the rules that, "Each station will require the use of process skills to answer queswtions and/or perform a required task such as formulating and/or ...(all about using tools, lab procedure, and collecting data) Thanks in advance
2013 : Crime Busters 1,10,17 Boomi 2,4,30 Road Scholar 1,1,9
2014 : Crime Busters 4,11,2 Shock Value 2,1,1 Boomi 4,7,34 WIDI 2,9,17 Road Scholar 1,2,3
2015 : Crime Busters: 1,4,1 Bridge 2,4,3 Road Scholar 1,1,1 Experimental Design 2,2,6 WIDI 8,1,30( XD)
(R/S/N) Muscatel Alumni

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3626
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby Unome » December 3rd, 2014, 4:20 am

ssb4ever wrote:So after doing my research (reading rules, the powerpoint, training handout, etc) I've noticed that there was no significant mentioning of having to answer biology related questions or any tests of basic biology concepts at competitions in any of the official documents. All that was mentioned was the ability to utilize and identify lab tools, demonstrate lab procedures, as well as interpreting data and making observations/inferences. I want to be certain whether or not we will be tested on biology concepts this year, because the test exchange only has older tests and rules may have changed :?: :?: . I also want to mention that it states straigh from the rules that, "Each station will require the use of process skills to answer queswtions and/or perform a required task such as formulating and/or ...(all about using tools, lab procedure, and collecting data) Thanks in advance

There are some mention of biology topics, but nothing that actually says biology. However, test writers (most test writers :| ) will pay significant attention to the name, and probably make some assumptions.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
aditi
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: October 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby aditi » December 6th, 2014, 11:52 am

Hey guys!! If you guys are going to an invitational, those are coming real close! Good luck to all of you out there! Even if you're not, regionals is in a few months as well! So, about bio-process lab... It's a new topic for this year, although it was a topic in 2009 an 2010... I was reading over all of the material that they gave us and nothing is very specific... How are you guys studying for the event? :D
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Image

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3626
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby Unome » December 6th, 2014, 12:46 pm

[aditi] wrote:Hey guys!! If you guys are going to an invitational, those are coming real close! Good luck to all of you out there! Even if you're not, regionals is in a few months as well! So, about bio-process lab... It's a new topic for this year, although it was a topic in 2009 an 2010... I was reading over all of the material that they gave us and nothing is very specific... How are you guys studying for the event? :D

I'm just going through stuff that might possibly be covered and sending to my partner (who is (mostly) making the note sheet).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Kuttan
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: September 14th, 2014, 11:58 am
Division: B
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby Kuttan » January 12th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Could someone explain glycolysis to me please?
Bio-Process Lab/Food Science/Green Generation
Great Lakes Invitational (L'Anse Creuse High School)-2/2/5

c-trast
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 20th, 2014, 6:18 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby c-trast » January 12th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Equation: C6H12O6 (glucose) + 2ATP + 2NAD+ → 2 pyruvate + 4ATP + 2NADH
Description: ATP oxidizes glucose to form 2 pyruvates (3-carbon molecules)
Location: Cytoplasm

-The NADH goes to the Krebs Cycle for more ATP production
-Anaerobic process (needs no oxygen)
-Part of both anaerobic and aerobic respiration
'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3

sciolyboy123
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: April 17th, 2015, 8:40 am
Division: B
State: AL
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby sciolyboy123 » April 18th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Does anyone have any tests other than the ones on the test exchange?
I'm not too sure about this event.
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)

deoxyribonucleicacid
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: February 26th, 2015, 10:35 am
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby deoxyribonucleicacid » April 28th, 2015, 4:26 pm

So what specifically should you study for Bio Process Lab? My partner and I are struggling a very much.

sciolyboy123
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: April 17th, 2015, 8:40 am
Division: B
State: AL
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby sciolyboy123 » April 28th, 2015, 5:20 pm

deoxyribonucleicacid wrote:So what specifically should you study for Bio Process Lab? My partner and I are struggling a very much.


Same here, I wouldn't say struggling but not top-25 at nats worthy.
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)

User avatar
aditi
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: October 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby aditi » April 28th, 2015, 7:36 pm

You study biology processes and do labs! Basically, do everything in the rules manual and anything remotely related. :lol:
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Image

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]

sciolyboy123
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: April 17th, 2015, 8:40 am
Division: B
State: AL
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby sciolyboy123 » April 28th, 2015, 10:14 pm

[aditi] wrote:You study biology processes and do labs! Basically, do everything in the rules manual and anything remotely related. :lol:


Is it just me or does that feel kind of restricted?
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)

User avatar
aditi
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: October 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby aditi » May 1st, 2015, 8:17 pm

sciolyboy123 wrote:
[aditi] wrote:You study biology processes and do labs! Basically, do everything in the rules manual and anything remotely related. :lol:


Is it just me or does that feel kind of restricted?


Huh? The point that I was trying to get across was that this topic is quite broad and unspecific.
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Image

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]


Return to “2015 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest