Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Post by finagle29 »

that is one method of approaching this problem that gets you the correct answer. another method is to find what the total weight of the lower mobile is necessary to balance the torque produced by the upper weight and then subtracting the known lower weight. either way, x=4
Bayard Rustin HS Alum

2013 Events: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Experiment, Robot Arm
2014 Events: Circuit Lab, Experiment, TPS, Mat Sci, Astro
2015 Events: Astro, Chem Lab, Compound Machines, Experiment, Time, TPS
2016 Events: Astro, Cell Bio, Chem Lab, Electric Vehicle, Time, Protein Modeling, Wind Power
Royalreter
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Royalreter »

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks! Most of the problems given to us at the competition in this format were more difficult than this lol.
2017-2018 Events: Astronomy, Fermi Questions, Optics, WIDI
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

What kind of accuracies and times are people getting in the build portion? We've been taking about a minute for ~3% error. Hard to tell how competitive that is though since the test factors in too.
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

olympiaddict wrote:What kind of accuracies and times are people getting in the build portion? We've been taking about a minute for ~3% error. Hard to tell how competitive that is though since the test factors in too.
Good percent error; maybe 10 seconds too long depending on how competitive your state is.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

olympiaddict wrote:What kind of accuracies and times are people getting in the build portion? We've been taking about a minute for ~3% error. Hard to tell how competitive that is though since the test factors in too.
My team has been getting ~1-2.5% error in about 45 seconds. Heard some team has managed to get similar accuracy in 30 seconds, which is pretty surprising
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

jkang wrote:
My team has been getting ~1-2.5% error in about 45 seconds. Heard some team has managed to get similar accuracy in 30 seconds, which is pretty surprising
B or C?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Unome wrote:
jkang wrote:
B or C?
Also my thought. Additionally, keep in mind it is important to look at how often a team can get that speed and accuracy. They might be able to do it once, but can they do it over and over again at that speed/accuracy?
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

Hey everyone, my state competition is this Saturday (the 4th) and I was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips or things to study or anything really. PLEASE! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :D
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

Unome wrote:
jkang wrote:
olympiaddict wrote:What kind of accuracies and times are people getting in teh build portion? We've been taking about a minute for ~3% error. Hard to tell how competitive that is though since teh test factors in too.
B or C?
Both us and the mentioned team are in Division C. And I personally found reaching 30 seconds even once to be surprising, as generally my team's current fastest time is around 40 seconds or so.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Giant Mole Squad

Post by Giant Mole Squad »

Does anyone know how to solve number 4 on the Captain's Tryouts test for Compound Machines? :?:

Return to “2015 Lab Events”