bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Post by bernard »

davidkim2106 wrote:Anyone have any pictures of their device?
A link to a picture of the device I made for our team.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
davidkim2106
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by davidkim2106 »

boomvroomshroom wrote:
You could go in the image gallery.
Keep in mind I said pictures of their devices :)
bernard wrote:
Thanks bernard :) Could you explain what the little things above the levers are? Also, where would you attach the masses? I don't see hooks

EDIT: nvm i see them, thanks :)
Sup.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

bernard wrote:
Thanks bernard :) Could you explain what the little things above the levers are? Also, where would you attach the masses? I don't see hooks

EDIT: nvm i see them, thanks :)
I believe those are levels that he uses to see whether the system of levers is in equilibrium or not, for more accuracy.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

bernard wrote:

Bernard, I understand how the first class lever can rest in equilibrium, but how about the second class lever? Do you have a fixed counter-weight attached to it to the right of the fulcrum or do you adjust the first class lever to the point where it can balance the second class lever? Anyone else with idea please help. We just got someone new on this event. Thanks.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

goodcheer wrote:
bernard wrote:

Bernard, I understand how the first class lever can rest in equilibrium, but how about the second class lever? Do you have a fixed counter-weight attached to it to the right of the fulcrum or do you adjust the first class lever to the point where it can balance the second class lever? Anyone else with idea please help. We just got someone new on this event. Thanks.
Yes, a fixed counterweight would let the second class lever rest in equilibrium, which would hopefully allow for more accurate predictions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

So... Apparently, there was a conflict, and now, I'm doing Simple Machines. What kinds of things should I do for simple machine concepts and terminology?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

bernard wrote: Yes, a fixed counterweight would let the second class lever rest in equilibrium, which would hopefully allow for more accurate predictions.
But then it might not be considered a true 2nd class lever anymore... more like a hybrid 1st/2nd class lever....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

chalker wrote:
bernard wrote: Yes, a fixed counterweight would let the second class lever rest in equilibrium, which would hopefully allow for more accurate predictions.
But then it might not be considered a true 2nd class lever anymore... more like a hybrid 1st/2nd class lever....
By the FAQ that states the the 40cm of the class 2 lever is just the distance between the fulcrum and effort points, could I call an 80cm beam a class 2 lever if the load and effort are on the same side of the fulcrum? I suppose the picture of our device I posted a while ago could be considered a hybrid since there is 5cm of meterstick opposite to the 40cm class 2 lever.
joeyjoejoe
State: GA
Been thanked: 0

Post by joeyjoejoe »

Even with that definition, I would consider the class 2 lever actually a class 1 lever. It never even crossed our minds to build ours that way. Placing a counterbalance on a class 1 lever doesn't change its type but doing so with a class 2 arguably does.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

bernard wrote: By the FAQ that states the the 40cm of the class 2 lever is just the distance between the fulcrum and effort points, could I call an 80cm beam a class 2 lever if the load and effort are on the same side of the fulcrum? I suppose the picture of our device I posted a while ago could be considered a hybrid since there is 5cm of meterstick opposite to the 40cm class 2 lever.
As always, this isn't the place for official clarifications / comments.... Note that the purpose of that FAQ was to make it easier for people to construct the levers. It's REALLY hard to come up with a design that has the fulcrum exactly at the edge of the beam for example. Having a little bit of extra material overhanging the fulcrum doesn't significantly impact the functionality of the lever.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2015 Lab Events”