Picture This B

Jaol
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by Jaol »

My friends recently competed in GA state and they said the words were ridiculous. They got 6 words and got 3rd I believe. Apparently the proctor said that there were many teams tha got 0 words. Don't mean to deflate you but maybe the testmaker overestimated middle schools of something.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Jaol wrote:My friends recently competed in GA state and they said the words were ridiculous. They got 6 words and got 3rd I believe. Apparently the proctor said that there were many teams tha got 0 words. Don't mean to deflate you but maybe the testmaker overestimated middle schools of something.
Yikes, what were some of the words? So it boiled down to who said pass 25 times the fastest to break the tie among the teams with zero words???

Having coached this at both the C level and the B level, I saw that the C's brought a bigger vocabulary to the table as they started studying (and that threesome started working about 8 weeks before regionals...) and just had to practice drawing things (I remember teaching them the words parsec and siblicide - it was a year that ornithology was on rotation) but they already knew all these other words that we dreamed up. As for the B's they just don't yet have the vocabulary so not only do I throw words at them that they've not yet practiced, but I have to define the words for them. With all the thousands (10s of thousands?) of legitimate PT words, I guess I can imagine a list of 25 that my team hasn't encountered.

Well, I hope they do better at State.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

hscmom wrote:
Jaol wrote:My friends recently competed in GA state and they said the words were ridiculous. They got 6 words and got 3rd I believe. Apparently the proctor said that there were many teams tha got 0 words. Don't mean to deflate you but maybe the testmaker overestimated middle schools of something.
Yikes, what were some of the words? So it boiled down to who said pass 25 times the fastest to break the tie among the teams with zero words???

Having coached this at both the C level and the B level, I saw that the C's brought a bigger vocabulary to the table as they started studying (and that threesome started working about 8 weeks before regionals...) and just had to practice drawing things (I remember teaching them the words parsec and siblicide - it was a year that ornithology was on rotation) but they already knew all these other words that we dreamed up. As for the B's they just don't yet have the vocabulary so not only do I throw words at them that they've not yet practiced, but I have to define the words for them. With all the thousands (10s of thousands?) of legitimate PT words, I guess I can imagine a list of 25 that my team hasn't encountered.

Well, I hope they do better at State.
I just want to point out this website again. After all, This should be all you need for B. 5th-8th grade! Of course, if you scroll down, there's more advanced stuff (I think).
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

hscmom wrote:Yikes, what were some of the words? So it boiled down to who said pass 25 times the fastest to break the tie among the teams with zero words???
So for all of those who are competing in this event remember that the 1st tie breaker is fewest terms passed not time. I can't tell you how silly I always think it is when the first drawer passes on their ninth term. It never made sense to me.
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
hscmom wrote:Yikes, what were some of the words? So it boiled down to who said pass 25 times the fastest to break the tie among the teams with zero words???
So for all of those who are competing in this event remember that the 1st tie breaker is fewest terms passed not time. I can't tell you how silly I always think it is when the first drawer passes on their ninth term. It never made sense to me.
Yea, you're right.
aditi
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by aditi »

There are also tie-breakers for the number of words consecutively answered correctly...That's what made us miss a first place at Wright State! :(
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

[aditi] wrote:There are also tie-breakers for the number of words consecutively answered correctly...That's what made us miss a first place at Wright State! :(
Bummer - but that's how it goes! Sounds like you did a terrific job.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by dragonfruit35 »

I know, right? At the regional I went to, my team got 4th place with about 5 words. :shock: There were quite a few in there we couldn't pronounce, much less draw!
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

And in a half hour, we're having an APRIL 1 Picture This practice. I decided to make a list that starts easy (so each sketcher thinks "Oh, piece of cake") and then gets difficult:
Root
Moon
Star
Borborygmi
Syzygy Predictions
Ribazuba
Human Alpha 7 Acetylcholine Receptor
Quisquilious
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Malacophilous
Mithridatism
Aqueosalinocalcalinoceraseoaluminoso cupreovitriolic
Encephalalgia
Jaculiferous
Emunctory circulation
Catoptric image
Demephitise
Snooperscope
Soboliferous
Syringadeous
Karst Swallet
Solisequious helianthus
Zalambdodont
Muonium
Zwitterionic Self-Assembled Monolayers

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

hscmom wrote:And in a half hour, we're having an APRIL 1 Picture This practice. I decided to make a list that starts easy (so each sketcher thinks "Oh, piece of cake") and then gets difficult:
Root
Moon
Star
Borborygmi
Syzygy Predictions
Ribazuba
Human Alpha 7 Acetylcholine Receptor
Quisquilious
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Malacophilous
Mithridatism
Aqueosalinocalcalinoceraseoaluminoso cupreovitriolic
Encephalalgia
Jaculiferous
Emunctory circulation
Catoptric image
Demephitise
Snooperscope
Soboliferous
Syringadeous
Karst Swallet
Solisequious helianthus
Zalambdodont
Muonium
Zwitterionic Self-Assembled Monolayers

I honestly think those terms are way too hard for this event.

Return to “2015 Lab Events”