Picture This B

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Picture This B

Post by Unome »

party_poison wrote:Hi! I'm new to this event and I was wondering if we could use letters and numbers to show compounds such as H2O, CO2, or NaCl. Or is that illegal in this event?
I'm not in this event, but I believe the rules refer to this and related symbols specifically.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

party_poison wrote:Hi! I'm new to this event and I was wondering if we could use letters and numbers to show compounds such as H2O, CO2, or NaCl. Or is that illegal in this event?
Nolettersornumbersifyouuselettersandnumbersthetermwillbepassedandyouwillbearrested!!!!!!!!! :!: :lol:
Verdigris
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Verdigris »

I honestly don't know, but I would err on the side of caution.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:
I'm not in this event, but I believe the rules refer to this and related symbols specifically.
I don't think you can, as they're letters and numbers
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
scienceswimmer4
Division: B
State: CO

Post by scienceswimmer4 »

I know this may be silly, but would anyone like to share the number of correct terms they have been getting on average? I'm just curious. ;)
research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
---
2013 { heredity/food science/widi } *regionals, states*
2014 { heredity/heli/widi } *regionals, states, nationals*
2015 { gliders/bio-process lab/green gen/pic this }
---
nationals results ~ 12th in heredity, 18th in widi
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Section 3.c. of the rules disallows this. Thus, you'd need to have an image for each of those common substances, which shouldn't be too difficult! They're part of everyday life making them sketch-able. It's not like they're going to ask for 'phosphorus trichloride' or 'para-dichlorobenzene'. Now, there are some things that I do find are mildly challenging to draw without letters and numbers, think 'unit' or 'quantitative'. Still, it all can be done.
scienceswimmer4 wrote:I know this may be silly, but would anyone like to share the number of correct terms they have been getting on average? I'm just curious. ;)
In my experience, this is a generally low-scoring event. The high scoring teams have not only cracked the event but put in the time, which is commendable.
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

Skink wrote:
scienceswimmer4 wrote:I know this may be silly, but would anyone like to share the number of correct terms they have been getting on average? I'm just curious. ;)
In my experience, this is a generally low-scoring event. The high scoring teams have not only cracked the event but put in the time, which is commendable.
The list of terms can change this by a lot but below is a list of the scores from the C-Division list used at the 2010 PA State competition. As Skink said it was clear the teams that put in a lot of work versus those that did not prepare as much for this event. Also don't forget that no matter what your opinion is of this event (I love it) that it is worth just as many points to your team as any other event and thus should get the same level of practice from your team.

1st place-20 words
2nd place-20 words
3rd place-14 words
4th place to 5th place-11 words
6th place-10 words
7th place -9 words
8th place to 15th place-8 words
16th place to 17th place-7 words
18th place to 24th place-6 words
25th place to 28th place- 5 words
29th place-4 words
30th place to 31st place-3 words
32nd place to 35th place-2 words
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

That's a hard question to answer because some lists are ridiculously easy and some amazingly hard. We practice weekly and when we do mock tourneys, we tend to get to about term 16 with about four passes. Then again, I am the one designing the words lists and I think I subconsciously aim for about the same level of difficulty. I try to throw in some easy words (we call them "two-second words"), harder words (but still appropriate for a middle schooler) and some crazy-hard college-level words (just to see how well they make decisions about whether to attack them, whether to pass, etc.) It's reasonable to expect a tournament to throw easy, hard, and beyond-hard at a team, but it's also reasonable to expect the list to really be ANYTHING science.

At the competition 10 days ago, they got gold. Yeah! They identified either 19 or 20 terms, passed on 3 (which were really words they knew), and didn't see the last 1 or 2. Seems like the list (from what they remember) was a good mix of easy and hard terms.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
scienceswimmer4
Division: B

Post by scienceswimmer4 »

hscmom wrote:At the competition 10 days ago, they got gold. Yeah! They identified either 19 or 20 terms, passed on 3 (which were really words they knew), and didn't see the last 1 or 2. Seems like the list (from what they remember) was a good mix of easy and hard terms.
Good for them! This event is pretty difficult, but very exciting and intense.

My partners and I got gold up here in Northern Colorado as well. I wonder if we had the same set :lol: Probably not though.
research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
---
2013 { heredity/food science/widi } *regionals, states*
2014 { heredity/heli/widi } *regionals, states, nationals*
2015 { gliders/bio-process lab/green gen/pic this }
---
nationals results ~ 12th in heredity, 18th in widi
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

scienceswimmer4 wrote:
hscmom wrote:At the competition 10 days ago, they got gold. Yeah! They identified either 19 or 20 terms, passed on 3 (which were really words they knew), and didn't see the last 1 or 2. Seems like the list (from what they remember) was a good mix of easy and hard terms.
Good for them! This event is pretty difficult, but very exciting and intense.

My partners and I got gold up here in Northern Colorado as well. I wonder if we had the same set :lol: Probably not though.
I was also sort of wondering if it was the same set. Was your first word epicenter?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2015 Lab Events”