Picture This B

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: sadness
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by dragonfruit35 » February 28th, 2015, 8:18 am

Has anyone done Picture This at Regionals already? If so, what was the format? Whiteboards? Paper? Assuming papers, but how did it work? How did the judge give you the words, etc.
Also, could you give examples of words, unless it's not allowed?
Thanks! :D
2019 (Duke/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats)
Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Herp -/-/11/1/26 MV 2/3/7/3/10 Code 3/1/1/1/5
2020 (CMU/Regionals/SOUP)
Detector 4/📏/- GV 6/🥢/8 Code 1/1/5 ED -/-/1 PPP -/-/38


R.I.P. Nationals 2020 :(

User avatar
Verdigris
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: November 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Location: Intermission 1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by Verdigris » March 7th, 2015, 11:21 am

dragon_fruit35 wrote:Has anyone done Picture This at Regionals already? If so, what was the format? Whiteboards? Paper? Assuming papers, but how did it work? How did the judge give you the words, etc.
Also, could you give examples of words, unless it's not allowed?
Thanks! :D
Hello. :) Sorry for the late answer.

The format used at Central Florida Regionals used whiteboards, and we would erase after the word was either correctly guessed or passed. We took turns drawing and guessing. The judge gave us words by showing the drawer the word on a flash card.

The words covered all manner of topics, but they were fairly common words. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give specifics.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by Skink » March 7th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Of course, it's allowed to discuss the terms you were given after the event is over! You're just discouraged from talking about it immediately after being done because you might give a hint to another team ;) .

The terms can be anything within reason, though better are ones that can reasonably be drawn (i.e. some adjectives don't lend themselves well to pictures). A well-built list will have some terms that everyone can do (say, cell or igneous rock), many that are fair to everyone, and some that are difficult (say, spectrometer or commensalism).

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: sadness
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by dragonfruit35 » March 7th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Thanks for the help, Verdigris and Skink! :mrgreen:
2019 (Duke/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats)
Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Herp -/-/11/1/26 MV 2/3/7/3/10 Code 3/1/1/1/5
2020 (CMU/Regionals/SOUP)
Detector 4/📏/- GV 6/🥢/8 Code 1/1/5 ED -/-/1 PPP -/-/38


R.I.P. Nationals 2020 :(

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 217
Joined: May 2nd, 2009, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Picture This B

Post by GoldenKnight1 » March 8th, 2015, 4:57 am

Skink wrote:Of course, it's allowed to discuss the terms you were given after the event is over! You're just discouraged from talking about it immediately after being done because you might give a hint to another team ;) .
Though you might want to limit talking about those terms until all regionals are over in your state as many regionals from the same state use some of the same tests.

And speaking of not talking about the words afterward, I just finished running this event this week and warned the teams not to talk about the term when they left. I did this both before and after their 4 minutes yet over 25% of the teams made it two steps out the door before saying the terms out loud.
Last edited by GoldenKnight1 on March 8th, 2015, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Verdigris
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: November 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Location: Intermission 1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by Verdigris » March 8th, 2015, 5:40 am

dragon_fruit35 wrote:Thanks for the help, Verdigris and Skink! :mrgreen:
No problem. ^^
GoldenKnight1 wrote:And speaking of not talking about the words afterward, I just finished running this event this week and warned the teams not to talk about the term when they left. I did this both before and after their 4 minutes yet over 25% of the teams made it two steps out the door before saying the terms out load.
I can't say I'm surprised. It happens with WIDI too, from what I've heard.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

hscmom
Coach
Coach
Posts: 242
Joined: March 3rd, 2010, 8:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Location: Colorado
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by hscmom » March 10th, 2015, 7:18 am

Verdigris wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:Thanks for the help, Verdigris and Skink! :mrgreen:
No problem. ^^
GoldenKnight1 wrote:And speaking of not talking about the words afterward, I just finished running this event this week and warned the teams not to talk about the term when they left. I did this both before and after their 4 minutes yet over 25% of the teams made it two steps out the door before saying the terms out load.
I can't say I'm surprised. It happens with WIDI too, from what I've heard.
It's human nature to talk about what you just did We start drilling into our teams about a month before tournament to just zip the lip as you exit a room - you never know who is outside the door. For younger, more excitable kids (more likely to not remember to be quiet) we try to station parents or coaches there outside the room to greet them so that they do not talk about the event that they just finished - we ask, "OK, so that's done, what do you have next?"

All three PT kids on our team made a silly goof during practice in the last few months. I think each did it once or twice and it was always good for a laugh. The sketcher would say the word out loud as s/he read it or started to draw - often the sketcher didn't even know s/he said it. Ooops. The night before Regionals, two of the PT kids were checking that the robot survived the drive and I was in the lobby with the other PT kid and we had a box of words and a whiteboard so we decided to practice a little. He drew a word from the box and said under his breath, "nuclear fusion." Ugh. At least none of our kids did that in competition.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

User avatar
Verdigris
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: November 7th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Location: Intermission 1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by Verdigris » March 10th, 2015, 3:22 pm

hscmom wrote:It's human nature to talk about what you just did We start drilling into our teams about a month before tournament to just zip the lip as you exit a room - you never know who is outside the door. For younger, more excitable kids (more likely to not remember to be quiet) we try to station parents or coaches there outside the room to greet them so that they do not talk about the event that they just finished - we ask, "OK, so that's done, what do you have next?"

All three PT kids on our team made a silly goof during practice in the last few months. I think each did it once or twice and it was always good for a laugh. The sketcher would say the word out loud as s/he read it or started to draw - often the sketcher didn't even know s/he said it. Ooops. The night before Regionals, two of the PT kids were checking that the robot survived the drive and I was in the lobby with the other PT kid and we had a box of words and a whiteboard so we decided to practice a little. He drew a word from the box and said under his breath, "nuclear fusion." Ugh. At least none of our kids did that in competition.
I definitely know what you're saying. I often talk to myself, so I can understand why some would have trouble with that. Thankfully not in competition, though. ^^
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Picture This B

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 15th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Remember, passing terms is an art. :ugeek:

party_poison
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: March 12th, 2015, 5:54 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by party_poison » March 16th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Hi! I'm new to this event and I was wondering if we could use letters and numbers to show compounds such as H2O, CO2, or NaCl. Or is that illegal in this event?
"So many people treat you like you're a kid so you might as well act like one and throw your television set out of the hotel window"- Gerard Way

Locked

Return to “2015 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest