slytherin
Division: B
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by slytherin »

SciBomb97 wrote:
Justsomerandomperson wrote:Does anyone have any good studying tips?
Cyanotic wrote:Do you guys recommend any great books to study with?
For anatomy, the first thing you need is a good college-level textbook. You need to read the chapters concerning the three systems in focus for the year because A&P is just one of those events that you need to know a lot about in order to succeed. I know there are specific topics outlined in the rules, but trust me when I say that event supervisors often don't give two cents for those "rules." Basically, anything about those systems is up for grabs.

I would recommend one of two books. The first (and arguably easier) book is Human Anatomy and Physiology, by Marieb and Hoehn. While being in-depth, the writing also employs relatively little abstruse language and the explanations are very clear. Diagrams in this book are also fantastic. There is a 9th edition, but the 7th and 8th editions will serve you just as well (and for a much cheaper price, too).

The second book I would recommend is Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology, by Martini. It is slightly more in-depth than Marieb but also more difficult to comprehend. Diagrams in this book are also fantastic. Personally, I would go with Marieb. Martini sacrifices a bit more clarity than I believe is necessary for some descriptions.

Both books can be found on Amazon at the following links:

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Phy ... 410&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Anat ... physiology

After going through the textbook, you should then move on to online resources, especially for diseases. Mayoclinic.org is a great place to start for diseases, but you should also look around as much as possible. Try to stick with more reliable sources (except for Wikipedia...sometimes they pull questions straight from Wikipedia content :? ). Online course notes from universities wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, make sure you are very familiar with the training handouts on soinc.org. I have seen questions pulled straight from those too.

I hope this helps!
I don't really think you need a college-level or any-level textbook for this event. I have done this event for 3 years in a row, and each year during state I got first. I agree with the fact though that supervisors don't care about the rules too. And I do recommend using the training handout and PowerPoint (which are both the same thing just in a different format) for your notes. After that, you should find some great diagrams of (basically) everything to put in your notes. Also look up more on each part of each system and try to memorize a lot of each because, as this year has 3 systems, there isn't very much room on 1 page for a lot of notes. I also recommend knowing your notes like the back of your hand. For every year I've been in state (every year I've tried out), I was always in stations and wasting time trying to find the answer can cost you questions. Other than that, good luck, because this is a fairly hard event.. :D
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
gxah

Post by gxah »

Does anyone know how the three systems are weighted? Like are the going to be more cardiovascular system questions... or which system will the test cover more???
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

gxah wrote:Does anyone know how the three systems are weighted? Like are the going to be more cardiovascular system questions... or which system will the test cover more???
I don't see any rules that specify the weighting of the scoring of the three different systems, so it would just depend on the test writer. Some (hopefully most) will write a test with the points evenly distributed, while others may leave one or two of the systems in the dust.
pandora_9999

Post by pandora_9999 »

So if you get a question wrong in quizzing, is there no way to find out the right answer?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pandora_9999 wrote:So if you get a question wrong in quizzing, is there no way to find out the right answer?
You can just press the green "Check Question" button.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Milankovitch1
State: OH

Post by Milankovitch1 »

GoofyFoofer wrote:
Justsomerandomperson wrote:Does anyone have any good studying tips?
One way to study is to use the topics and such listed in the rules and study from that.
If you are just beginning, you can watch Khan Academy, Bozeman Science, etc. to get an introduction to the event.
Good tip, thanks!
Play Hard - Have Fun
claudius

Post by claudius »

What counts as the ¨Basic Anatomy of the component parts of the skin¨ for Division B?
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
States: Anatomy 5th, Can't Judge a Powder 7th, Simple Machines 2nd, Road Scholar 1st
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

claudius wrote:What counts as the ¨Basic Anatomy of the component parts of the skin¨ for Division B?
Anything. Literally. If it's in the skin, it's fair game.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pandora_9999

Post by pandora_9999 »

Unome wrote:
pandora_9999 wrote:So if you get a question wrong in quizzing, is there no way to find out the right answer?
The green "Check Question" button only tells me if the my answer is right or wrong. However, if I tried hard on the question, such as a fill in the blank , and I want to know the answer, is there a button to press to access it?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

pandora_9999 wrote:
Unome wrote:
The green "Check Question" button only tells me if the my answer is right or wrong. However, if I tried hard on the question, such as a fill in the blank , and I want to know the answer, is there a button to press to access it?
I don't think so. Someone who worked on developing quizzing would know for sure. What is the question you are trying to find the answer to?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Study Events”