UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
sciolyboy123 wrote:More information on incidence rate is noted here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1109,d.eXY
The source of all knowledge
Of course man
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)
cconry
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by cconry »

Thanks. I was confused because Page 3-11 in the cdc principles of epidemiology book says attack rate is a synonym for incidence proportion, so just wondered if that is the prevailing view since it also sounds like (on p. 3-10) different people use these terms differently.
sciolyboy123
State: AL

Post by sciolyboy123 »

Welcome. If there is anything else that you need help understanding, you have many helpful people in this forum. Btw that CDC book is really good for studying and researching basics of epidemiology. I advise you to keep reading it because it strengthens your skills in being a disease detective.
2014-15 Season
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

I will be competing in this event at Nationals for the first time this year. Will someone explain how it works at Nationals? With all 60 teams going at once, do they split into rooms or is it all one big auditorium type set-up?
Also, how should I prepare for the test? How have previous tests been laid out?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SOnerd wrote:I will be competing in this event at Nationals for the first time this year. Will someone explain how it works at Nationals? With all 60 teams going at once, do they split into rooms or is it all one big auditorium type set-up?
The General Rules page of the rules has a schedule that splits the 60 teams into 3 different hours for Division C, and I don't think it's much different for Division B. The tournament website has a PDF with a photo of the Disease Detectives event room.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
SOnerd wrote:I will be competing in this event at Nationals for the first time this year. Will someone explain how it works at Nationals? With all 60 teams going at once, do they split into rooms or is it all one big auditorium type set-up?
The General Rules page of the rules has a schedule that splits the 60 teams into 3 different hours for Division C, and I don't think it's much different for Division B. The tournament website has a PDF with a photo of the Disease Detectives event room.
Isn't it a single time block for B?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyboy123

Post by sciolyboy123 »

Unome wrote: Isn't it a single time block for B?
Yes, it's the very first time slot (7 AM to 8AM).
2014-15 Season
GrayEpi
State: GA

Post by GrayEpi »

The DD event at Nationals is usually held in two rooms - one for Div B and one for Div C. These are generally big lecture halls. Team members sit next to each other and are separated from other teams by one or more seats. According to the schedule on the tournament website - all teams will compete at the same time 7-8am. That gives us time to score them. wrto stats - things like odds ratios, incidence rates, relative risk - are not really stats and are part of both Div B and C events. There is a list of stats - chi square, fishers exact... things that involve p-values or stratified analysis - that are part of Div C - not B. One of the events from 2013 should be up on the CDC website - check it out. We generally use the same scenarios for Div B and C but many of the questions are different. We try to set it up so understanding is more important than memorizing. These events are long and brutal, most teams will not finish them all - do your best.
sciolyboy123

Post by sciolyboy123 »

GrayEpi wrote:The DD event at Nationals is usually held in two rooms - one for Div B and one for Div C. These are generally big lecture halls. Team members sit next to each other and are separated from other teams by one or more seats. According to the schedule on the tournament website - all teams will compete at the same time 7-8am. That gives us time to score them. wrto stats - things like odds ratios, incidence rates, relative risk - are not really stats and are part of both Div B and C events. There is a list of stats - chi square, fishers exact... things that involve p-values or stratified analysis - that are part of Div C - not B. One of the events from 2013 should be up on the CDC website - check it out. We generally use the same scenarios for Div B and C but many of the questions are different. We try to set it up so understanding is more important than memorizing. These events are long and brutal, most teams will not finish them all - do your best.
Is it going to be like the Nationals test from when Population Growth was last the topic?
2014-15 Season
RMA
Division: C
State: PA

Post by RMA »

Probably. I would assume so, but disease is disease and you probably will never know everything on the test.

Return to “2015 Study Events”