Disease Detectives B/C

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby SOnerd » January 20th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Okay, I have yet another question (lol)
I can't seem to find a consistent mortality rate formula. Is the one featured on this webpage, http://health.mo.gov/training/epi/CrudeRate.html correct?
(it's Mortality Rate = deaths occuring during a given time period/size of the population which the deaths occurred * 10^n)
Also, I can't find one for attack rate
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/6/1/96175de727dcefcdd6032c0ca9118d40.png[/img]
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

NJBio
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby NJBio » January 20th, 2015, 7:27 pm

I believe it's # of deaths/population size for a specified unit of time.. It's literally just how many people die in a certain population, and isn't exactly the best measure (especially the crude mortality rate, which includes all sources of death and isn't a great metric). Don't worry too much about it.
Hi!

Anatomy: 1st (regional)
Cell: 4th (BVF)
Disease: 2nd (Islips), 1st (BVF)
Protein: -

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » January 21st, 2015, 9:33 am

Typically, though, mortality rates will be reported on a per thousand, per 10,000 or (most common, I think) per 100,000 population basis.

Also, that ID section may be mostly an NJ thing. Doesn't show up much on NY tests.

DatScienceKid
State: WI

Postby DatScienceKid » January 21st, 2015, 2:29 pm

Hey! So this is my third year doing Disease Detectives, and they've never threw specific diseases on there besides just knowing the basics. What should I study about ebola? Thanks! :ugeek:
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity

NJBio

Postby NJBio » January 21st, 2015, 4:24 pm

Typically, though, mortality rates will be reported on a per thousand, per 10,000 or (most common, I think) per 100,000 population basis.

Also, that ID section may be mostly an NJ thing. Doesn't show up much on NY tests.
Well, we saw them at NY and PA invitationals so it may be a mid-Atlantic thing.

Definitely know that it's a hemorrhagic fever, caused by a virus, and a few of its symptoms. That should be sufficient.
Hi!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 22nd, 2015, 1:14 pm

I don't recall ever encountering an ID section in Disease Detectives. Maybe it's a new thing they're integrating, but as far as I know, it's not typical, and probably not necessarily something you should spend much time on.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

NJBio

Postby NJBio » January 24th, 2015, 8:08 am

Maybe...we've seem them a lot in NY/PA tournaments, but that could be our bad luck. Still, it's good to have a section devoted to listing the specifics of certain diseases - tiebreakers and short answers tend to focus on individual ones.
Hi!

TC-SciOly
State: CA

Postby TC-SciOly » January 24th, 2015, 8:02 pm

We are really confused about identifying point source, continuous source, and propagated epi curves. On certain tests it is really hard to identify the type of curve just according to the definitions. Can someone provide guidance on where we can find more information on identifying these curves?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 26th, 2015, 12:54 am

We are really confused about identifying point source, continuous source, and propagated epi curves. On certain tests it is really hard to identify the type of curve just according to the definitions. Can someone provide guidance on where we can find more information on identifying these curves?
Here is a source with sample graphs and explanations.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

DatScienceKid
State: WI

Postby DatScienceKid » January 26th, 2015, 2:28 pm

I feel you. This was my problem the first two years of the event. Just sit down and try to understand, it's not too difficult if you understand basic epidemiological terms. Don't fret too much, because it's easy to over complicate them! :D
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity

Return to “2015 Study Events”