Disease Detectives B/C

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 22nd, 2015, 1:14 pm

I don't recall ever encountering an ID section in Disease Detectives. Maybe it's a new thing they're integrating, but as far as I know, it's not typical, and probably not necessarily something you should spend much time on.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

NJBio
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby NJBio » January 24th, 2015, 8:08 am

Maybe...we've seem them a lot in NY/PA tournaments, but that could be our bad luck. Still, it's good to have a section devoted to listing the specifics of certain diseases - tiebreakers and short answers tend to focus on individual ones.
Hi!

Anatomy: 1st (regional)
Cell: 4th (BVF)
Disease: 2nd (Islips), 1st (BVF)
Protein: -

TC-SciOly
State: CA

Postby TC-SciOly » January 24th, 2015, 8:02 pm

We are really confused about identifying point source, continuous source, and propagated epi curves. On certain tests it is really hard to identify the type of curve just according to the definitions. Can someone provide guidance on where we can find more information on identifying these curves?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 26th, 2015, 12:54 am

We are really confused about identifying point source, continuous source, and propagated epi curves. On certain tests it is really hard to identify the type of curve just according to the definitions. Can someone provide guidance on where we can find more information on identifying these curves?
Here is a source with sample graphs and explanations.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

DatScienceKid
State: WI

Postby DatScienceKid » January 26th, 2015, 2:28 pm

I feel you. This was my problem the first two years of the event. Just sit down and try to understand, it's not too difficult if you understand basic epidemiological terms. Don't fret too much, because it's easy to over complicate them! :D
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » January 28th, 2015, 6:17 am

I made the comment that this event is always (?) first on the National competition schedule, to which I was asked why that is. And, well, I don't know! Does anybody out there know what the rationale for that is?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 28th, 2015, 6:26 am

I made the comment that this event is always (?) first on the National competition schedule, to which I was asked why that is. And, well, I don't know! Does anybody out there know what the rationale for that is?
At our regional tournament last year, Disease Detectives was at 11am and 12pm which wasn't as late as some events starting at 2pm, but it ended up being the last event announced at awards and we even had to wait a bit for the results. Not sure why it took a while; maybe some of us wrote too much for the graders to read. It could be that they want an event in the morning that doesn't require much setup.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » January 28th, 2015, 5:34 pm

It could be that they want an event in the morning that doesn't require much setup.
That's as good an explanation as any. Of the perennial events, this is one of few that isn't stuff-intensive.

NJBio
State: NJ

Postby NJBio » January 28th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Probably. It always seems to be first thing in the morning with every team competing in the same session. It's just a test, so you can fit huge amounts of teams into one room and can prepare for future, more complex events.
Hi!

Anatomy: 1st (regional)
Cell: 4th (BVF)
Disease: 2nd (Islips), 1st (BVF)
Protein: -

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » January 29th, 2015, 2:01 am

I'm pretty sure that this is because many Disease Detectives tests (especially the nationals one) take forever to grade. Now that I think of it, even in the practice tests I take for this event there are hardly any multiple choice. Seeing as how almost all of the tests are almost all short response, there can be some answers that are borderline right or wrong, and that further complicates things as to where to draw the line between the two.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Return to “2015 Study Events”