Disease Detectives B/C

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Skink » January 28th, 2015, 6:17 am

I made the comment that this event is always (?) first on the National competition schedule, to which I was asked why that is. And, well, I don't know! Does anybody out there know what the rationale for that is?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 28th, 2015, 6:26 am

I made the comment that this event is always (?) first on the National competition schedule, to which I was asked why that is. And, well, I don't know! Does anybody out there know what the rationale for that is?
At our regional tournament last year, Disease Detectives was at 11am and 12pm which wasn't as late as some events starting at 2pm, but it ended up being the last event announced at awards and we even had to wait a bit for the results. Not sure why it took a while; maybe some of us wrote too much for the graders to read. It could be that they want an event in the morning that doesn't require much setup.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » January 28th, 2015, 5:34 pm

It could be that they want an event in the morning that doesn't require much setup.
That's as good an explanation as any. Of the perennial events, this is one of few that isn't stuff-intensive.

NJBio
State: NJ

Postby NJBio » January 28th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Probably. It always seems to be first thing in the morning with every team competing in the same session. It's just a test, so you can fit huge amounts of teams into one room and can prepare for future, more complex events.
Hi!

Anatomy: 1st (regional)
Cell: 4th (BVF)
Disease: 2nd (Islips), 1st (BVF)
Protein: -

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » January 29th, 2015, 2:01 am

I'm pretty sure that this is because many Disease Detectives tests (especially the nationals one) take forever to grade. Now that I think of it, even in the practice tests I take for this event there are hardly any multiple choice. Seeing as how almost all of the tests are almost all short response, there can be some answers that are borderline right or wrong, and that further complicates things as to where to draw the line between the two.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » January 30th, 2015, 9:03 am

Typically, though, mortality rates will be reported on a per thousand, per 10,000 or (most common, I think) per 100,000 population basis.

Also, that ID section may be mostly an NJ thing. Doesn't show up much on NY tests.
Well, we saw them at NY and PA invitationals so it may be a mid-Atlantic thing.

Definitely know that it's a hemorrhagic fever, caused by a virus, and a few of its symptoms. That should be sufficient.
I dunno about PA, but the Disease event at Islip was written by a NJ coach. Regional and State events in NY are written by me, and I don't put ID sections on the test. A limited amount of info about some of the most important diseases that fall under this year's topic is fair game (more for foodborne that the other two), but no big ID sections. That said, ebola is one you should know this year.

scioly17

Disease Detectives B - Population Growth

Postby scioly17 » February 2nd, 2015, 10:26 am

Hi All:

I am new to Science Olympiad and preparing for Disease Detectives. I understand that the topic for 2015 for Disease Detectives is "Population growth". I would very much appreciate it if someone can guide me as to where I can find the material for population growth. I have been looking every where but have been able to find material regarding "environmental causes" and "Food borne illnesses". If you can provide some links that would be really helpful to me.

Thanks in advance..

Jake

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » February 2nd, 2015, 10:33 am

Hi,
Could the wiki add information like diseases under the new topic of Population Growth? That would help people in this event alot.
The wiki is edited by people who volunteer time, so that's why some pages are not up-to-date or comprehensive on the current year's topics. I've been busy recently so I haven't been able to take much time to edit the wiki, but I would be happy to answer any questions you have, just post them under this topic. I've quoted my answer to another user about Population Growth.
Hi All:

I am new to Science Olympiad and preparing for Disease Detectives. I understand that the topic for 2015 for Disease Detectives is "Population growth". I would very much appreciate it if someone can guide me as to where I can find the material for population growth. I have been looking every where but have been able to find material regarding "environmental causes" and "Food borne illnesses". If you can provide some links that would be really helpful to me.

Thanks in advance..

Jake
I added a list of topics that fall under Population Growth to the Disease Detectives wiki a while back. Pretty much every disease can be tied to population growth somehow; if you aren't sure, think about how growing populations might affect the spread of a disease. I've quoted this part of the wiki below:
Water Quality, Water Pollution, Water Demands
Sanitation Needs
Growth of Slums and Household Environment
Environmental Degradation
Air Pollution
Infectious Disease Outbreaks
Rapid Spread of Disease via Public Transportation and Air Travel
Food Quality and Food Contamination
Lack of food in poor nations vs. unhealthy fast food and drinks in technological societies
Availability of health care for the poor and the aged
People moving into uninhabited areas
New pathogens, such as Lyme disease and Ebola
Last edited by bernard on February 7th, 2015, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

scioly17

Postby scioly17 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:20 pm

Hi Bernard:

thanks for the prompt reply. appreciate it. I am struggling on how to find more information about these topics. As an example, you had noted "Growth of Slums and Household Environment" as on of the topic under population growth. I am having a hard time looking up for information on this topic? This is one example. I have the same issue for other examples. Do you happen to how how I can gather materials for each of these topics you had noted under population growth so that I can study each one of them. Sorry about the trouble.

thanks..
Jake

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » February 2nd, 2015, 12:40 pm

Hi Bernard:

thanks for the prompt reply. appreciate it. I am struggling on how to find more information about these topics. As an example, you had noted "Growth of Slums and Household Environment" as on of the topic under population growth. I am having a hard time looking up for information on this topic? This is one example. I have the same issue for other examples. Do you happen to how how I can gather materials for each of these topics you had noted under population growth so that I can study each one of them. Sorry about the trouble.

thanks..
Jake
I did a Google search of "diseases in slums" and got this link. I don't think it is necessary to understand every detail you'll see in this link, but you should try to get a general idea of how slums affect the health of the people inhabiting them and why slums are a result of population growth. Another example: food quality and contamination. If asked about how population growth affects food quality and contamination, thus increasing food-borne illness incidence, I would say that increased population means more food needs to be produced at a quicker rate the quality might not be as high since the focus is more on quantity rather than quality. Here's a link that discusses population growth, food quality, and disease. If there's anything else that is confusing, let me know and I can try to help.

Return to “2015 Study Events”