Disease Detectives B/C

scioly17
State: -

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby scioly17 » February 2nd, 2015, 8:08 pm

Hi Bernard:

Thank you very much. This is very helpful and it gives me a good start.

Jake.

Ciencias

Postby Ciencias » February 7th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Hi,
Could the wiki add information like diseases under the new topic of Population Growth? That would help people in this event alot.

hmath729
Division: C
State: CA

Postby hmath729 » February 10th, 2015, 9:15 am

Hi,
Could the wiki add information like diseases under the new topic of Population Growth? That would help people in this event alot.
That would help... Remember, though, if you want something on the wiki, you could add it yourself... (hint hint).
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-

lthevs
Division: B
State: PA

Postby lthevs » February 21st, 2015, 3:08 pm

Does anyone know the last time when Population Growth was the focus? Thanks.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby bernard » February 21st, 2015, 3:26 pm

Does anyone know the last time when Population Growth was the focus? Thanks.
I think it was the focus for the 2009 season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

dharti04

Postby dharti04 » February 21st, 2015, 8:03 pm

This year, I have noticed that most of the scenarios are on Ebola. So what should I really study? Should I just study the basic information on Ebola or is there something specific that I need to look at?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » February 21st, 2015, 8:55 pm

This year, I have noticed that most of the scenarios are on Ebola. So what should I really study? Should I just study the basic information on Ebola or is there something specific that I need to look at?
Since Ebola and Measles have been in the news recent, I would expect for a lot of exams to have at least some questions about it. In some tests I've seen, news articles are paired with questions. It would be quite easy for a test writer to find an article on Ebola or Measles.

I would try to understand the basics about these diseases: diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, etc. These are often the important details that you would need to know in planning to control an outbreak. As you study these diseases, also think about how they relate to population growth (e.g. growing populations but same limitations in medical facilities means its hard to deal with massive outbreaks, etc.).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Gearbox
State: PA

Postby Gearbox » February 22nd, 2015, 8:46 am

Hey guys,

Does anyone know any of the complex statistical analyses that we may need to perform (I'm talking about things past relative risk, odds ratio, and stuff like that) Thanks!
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bernard » February 22nd, 2015, 12:12 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone know any of the complex statistical analyses that we may need to perform (I'm talking about things past relative risk, odds ratio, and stuff like that) Thanks!
There is a Statistics Handout for 2015 on the official Science Olympiad website.

kvolpe310

Postby kvolpe310 » March 5th, 2015, 10:27 am

I recently took a test that asked us to calculate the susceptibility of people of different age groups to a certain disease (given the number of people surveyed per age group and the number infected). My partner and I weren't completely sure what to do and just calculated the prevalence. Not sure it that was the way they wanted it done, although we didn't place too badly overall. We wanted to double check the meaning and calculations for susceptibility before regionals, but haven't found any answers. Anyone have any idea?

Return to “2015 Study Events”