Entomology B/C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Panda Weasley »

JoJoKeKe wrote:I'm quite sad they're getting rid of this event. I really wanted to try it next year! :(
There not getting rid of it, it's just getting rotated out. It rotates with 3 other ID events.

Unrelated note: GO SONERD!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
JoJoKeKe
State: ID
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Just a question- why are they rotating it out if it's only been an event for 2 years? (Or so I think...)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Just a question- why are they rotating it out if it's only been an event for 2 years? (Or so I think...)
only?

It'll come back in 8 or 10 years. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Just a question- why are they rotating it out if it's only been an event for 2 years? (Or so I think...)
They rotate every 2 years. It goes Ento, Invasives (just entering the rotation I think), Herpetology, Ornithology, then Forestry.
(Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
DFTBA!
QuantumTech
State: CA

Post by QuantumTech »

Panda Weasley wrote:
They rotate every 2 years. It goes Ento, Invasives (just entering the rotation I think), Herpetology, Ornithology, then Forestry.
Wait so no Ento for 2015-2016 school year? Darn I was looking forwards to it.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

QuantumTech wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
Yeah no Ento. :( Apparently there might be some insects in the invasives list...
DFTBA!
RontgensWallaby
State: GA

Post by RontgensWallaby »

Read a National Geographic article the other day about building "superbees" that could resist colony collapse. I think it would be interesting for any enthusiastic Entomology ex-competitor. (accidental alliteration aptitude)
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
Jaol
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Jaol »

Panda Weasley wrote:
QuantumTech wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote: They rotate every 2 years. It goes Ento, Invasives (just entering the rotation I think), Herpetology, Ornithology, then Forestry.
Yeah no Ento. :( Apparently there might be some insects in the invasives list...
Yeah there are about 25 of them on the trial events list on the binder I'm making.
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

Hello everyone.

It is with great regret that I make my last ever post onto the Entomology forum. This event will be going out of rotation next year, not to be back for a long time. I've had a lot of fun with this event, and it's been quite the ride. I first walked into an Entomology test at my first ever Science Olympiad competition without a clue as to what was going on. Before entering the testing room, I remember thinking "Hey, maybe this event involves identifying insects. " I was armed only a very poorly-made cheat sheet and no field guide. Due to easy test making, I did not learn a single thing from this test. Consequently, the second time I took an Entomology test, I scored a whopping 23 points out of 100 possible. From that moment on, I knew I desperately needed to get a clue. Entomology became my lyfe. I began to truly enjoy Science Olympiad, not dread it. My first "real" medal - a 2nd place at an invite- gave me the motivation I needed to completely bury myself in teh insectz.

Entomology has been the only event that I've participated in all 11 tournaments that I've attended. I've had 3 different partners and 10 different cheat sheets through the years. My experiences with Entomology have taught me that hard work (and a little bit of an unhealthy obsession) will bring success. Although I will never cram together another Entomology cheat sheet, take another Entomology test, or tab another Entomology field guide, the memory of competing in this event will never leave me.

My time participating in Entomology has been very unique and memorable. They have ranged from missing entire stations worth of questions on tests, to placing at Nats. I will never forget the shock I felt when I learned that insects were not "Anthropods", but "Arthropods" (something I learned in November 2014... I did this event for an entire year without knowing). When I took my first test, I did not know what "taxonomy" meant. I will never forget the feeling of walking into an Entomology test at every single competition - and regardless of how the rest of the day had gone - being able to truly have fun, without the stress of other events. Throughout this past season, I sadly did not study for Entomology until after state. It was the event I could always lean on doing well in when I was unsure how the upcoming competition was going to go.

Entomology, I will never forget you. The event that made me love Science Olympiad, the event that taught me that intellect is worth something. Entomology, I will always remember how you helped me keep my sanity through two very bumpy years of Middle School.

Goodbye Entomology, I hope the kids that are lucky enough to have you in rotation next will value you as much as I did.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

Return to “2015 Study Events”