Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by SOnerd »

Panda Weasley wrote:
theoriginalweevil wrote:And then Quizlet, of course. Quizlet is most helpful.
YES!
For those of you who don't have the Premium version of quizlet, are just using the pictures that are pre-loaded in? I tried doing that with fossils, but none of the pictures are good/accurate. I'm just sticking to flash cards for this event for now I guess.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Panda Weasley
Division: C

Post by Panda Weasley »

SOnerd wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
theoriginalweevil wrote:And then Quizlet, of course. Quizlet is most helpful.
YES!
For those of you who don't have the Premium version of quizlet, are just using the pictures that are pre-loaded in? I tried doing that with fossils, but none of the pictures are good/accurate. I'm just sticking to flash cards for this event for now I guess.
I just use your set lol. :D
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

For those of you who have competed in this event at the National level in the past, what types of stuff are you studying this year?
I remember one station last year wanted us to make an "insect collection" (or something like that) based off a description. I ended up just writing "Culicidae" because it fit. What would have been a better answer for this situation?
Also, Audubon users, are you tabbing each individual family in your book, or just the orders? I have all the family page numbers in my cheat sheet, and I usually have my partner flip to the correct page, but I have to look for the page # on the notesheet and tell it to them. If I tabbed all the families, they could just find it based on the name. Would doing this (tabbing all 100 families) help, or just create clutter?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

SOnerd wrote:For those of you who have competed in this event at the National level in the past, what types of stuff are you studying this year?
I remember one station last year wanted us to make an "insect collection" (or something like that) based off a description. I ended up just writing "Culicidae" because it fit. What would have been a better answer for this situation?
Also, Audubon users, are you tabbing each individual family in your book, or just the orders? I have all the family page numbers in my cheat sheet, and I usually have my partner flip to the correct page, but I have to look for the page # on the notesheet and tell it to them. If I tabbed all the families, they could just find it based on the name. Would doing this (tabbing all 100 families) help, or just create clutter?
I have not been to Nats, so I do not have an answer to the first part of your question. I do have an answer for the second part however. I personally feel like adding the families would just make it harder to find the right tab. There would be too many to look though and unless you had them organized really well, it would probably just be a mess. Plus, that means more tabbing. ;) My own partner is having trouble finding things, and we only have the orders tabbed! I think what you have on your notesheet is fine (because I've seen it and know it's amazing :D ), but removing the plate numbers may make it easier to find the correct number faster. If you have all the ID'ing down (like I know you do) you probably don't even need the plate numbers.

Quick question of my own: Is anyone else on here annotating their guides or am I just a weirdo? If you are, what are you putting in?
DFTBA!
theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA

Post by theoriginalweevil »

Panda Weasley wrote:
SOnerd wrote:For those of you who have competed in this event at the National level in the past, what types of stuff are you studying this year?
I have not been to Nats, so I do not have an answer to the first part of your question. I do have an answer for the second part however. I personally feel like adding the families would just make it harder to find the right tab. There would be too many to look though and unless you had them organized really well, it would probably just be a mess. Plus, that means more tabbing. ;) My own partner is having trouble finding things, and we only have the orders tabbed! I think what you have on your notesheet is fine (because I've seen it and know it's amazing :D ), but removing the plate numbers may make it easier to find the correct number faster. If you have all the ID'ing down (like I know you do) you probably don't even need the plate numbers.

Quick question of my own: Is anyone else on here annotating their guides or am I just a weirdo? If you are, what are you putting in?

I didn't even tab mine this year. I knew my cheat sheet front to back, and I had the page numbers on it. The tabs got wrinkled, fell out, or otherwise didn't cooperate (groan). The color plates aren't very useful- or at least not to me. I went down to the main public library and dragged home about a dozen entomology books, and used the (put a gummy bear here - eat it when you read it) strategy. The National Wildlife Federation series is great because it is side-by-side pictures and text, so you can link what you see to the features of the bug. Kaufmann guides are also similar and good.

If you don't like your quizlet image selection, make presentations using Google Drive with the pictures on the slide and a duplicate slide next (just with the names) for a quizlet-like experience ;)
:D
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

theoriginalweevil wrote:I didn't even tab mine this year. I knew my cheat sheet front to back, and I had the page numbers on it. The tabs got wrinkled, fell out, or otherwise didn't cooperate (groan).
Mine is only tabbed because I'm using the same guide as last year! We bought some tabs that seem to be really durable because they're still holding up. Tip for people who are tabbing: Put a piece of tape on top of the tab where it connects to the page. This will help it stay on through heavy use.
DFTBA!
RontgensWallaby
State: GA

Post by RontgensWallaby »

I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

RontgensWallaby wrote:I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Can you please state who you are replying to? I think you may have skipped some pages.
DFTBA!
RontgensWallaby
State: GA

Post by RontgensWallaby »

Panda Weasley wrote:
RontgensWallaby wrote:I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Can you please state who you are replying to? I think you may have skipped some pages.
Sorry. Looked at the last post on the first page.
On another note, is anyone bringing a different resource to Nationals than the Audubon?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA

Post by theoriginalweevil »

For those of you still competing in Ento, or just got an attachment to bugs and want to learn more for studying's sake, here's a community-based website full of pictures (identified by experts/professionals) of insects. It's really good because you get to see more different ones you might not find in the Audubon book (or anywhere else, really) which is very limited.

It's mostly reliable, but as it says on its disclaimer, it's still amateur-based.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/52/bgpage
:D

Return to “2015 Study Events”