Entomology B/C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Panda Weasley »

Fulgorid_weevil wrote:
NoL617 wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote:So, to get this started, any hints of what to come, or what to look out for?
On soinc.org under B or C events, go to the Entomology link. There is a list of all of the insects that you will need to know for the upcoming competitions.
I placed first in regionals for entomology, and basically, BEETLES BEETLES BEELTES. It's always that beetles, and I suggest that you sharpen your Diptera skills as well. It's also good to just know random facts, as that helped me and my partner a lot.

I got a lot of everything... :D. If you are pressed on time I would focus on all of the big orders (the ones with multiple families listed) and then work your way down to the rarer/less known orders. Besides knowing what the insects are look at different facts about the insects like special things with their anatomy and what not. Anything that makes them special is useful to know.
Quick rant: 2 MINUTES PER STATION WITH WITH AN AVERAGE OF ~6 QUESTIONS PER STATION!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Been thanked: 0

Post by SOnerd »

Panda Weasley wrote: Quick rant: 2 MINUTES PER STATION WITH WITH AN AVERAGE OF ~6 QUESTIONS PER STATION!
Lol, at one of my invites we a PPT with 55 second slides with ~5-6 questions on each
It was a very well-written test, just very difficult.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

SOnerd wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote: Quick rant: 2 MINUTES PER STATION WITH WITH AN AVERAGE OF ~6 QUESTIONS PER STATION!
Lol, at one of my invites we a PPT with 55 second slides with ~5-6 questions on each
Gosh SOnerd. Thanks for breaking all my hopes and dreams. :D
DFTBA!
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

Panda Weasley wrote:
SOnerd wrote:
Gosh SOnerd. Thanks for breaking all my hopes and dreams. :D
Anytime :D

Also, how much internal anatomy stuff have you guys been asked about on tests? Is just having diagrams w/ explanations enough?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

SOnerd wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote: Gosh SOnerd. Thanks for breaking all my hopes and dreams. :D
Anytime :D

Also, how much internal anatomy stuff have you guys been asked about on tests? Is just having diagrams w/ explanations enough?
Not too much on internal anatomy. I would say just diagrams would be fine. Not sure how you will fit it on your cheat sheet though.....
DFTBA!
ceg7654
State: CA

Post by ceg7654 »

So there are Arctiidae that look like Sesiidae, and Sesiidae that look like Arctiidae, and apparently there are also clear-winged tiger moths. So, how should we tell the difference?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
theoriginalweevil
Division: B

Post by theoriginalweevil »

ceg7654 wrote:So there are Arctiidae that look like Sesiidae, and Sesiidae that look like Arctiidae, and apparently there are also clear-winged tiger moths. So, how should we tell the difference?
Comparing them side-by side, the most distinctive feature of the Arctiidae with clear wings is that between the clear "panes" cell are the veins, which look like heavy frames- are very distinctive. Sesiidae has the tiny, thin veins, and on the forewings are the spots that remind me of eyes.

Also:
Arctiidae has a fatter body and sturdier build.
The apex of the forewings on the Sesiidae are in line with the head, whereas the apex of the forewings of the Arctiidae are lower than the head, pointing downward.

These are harder to compare if they are not side-by-side. The most noticeable feature, to me, are the wing patterns.

Good luck :)
:D
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

ceg7654 wrote:So there are Arctiidae that look like Sesiidae, and Sesiidae that look like Arctiidae, and apparently there are also clear-winged tiger moths. So, how should we tell the difference?
This may just be me, but I can tell them apart based on what order they look like they should be in. Arctiidae looks distinctly like a moth to me, but Sesiidae looks like it could be Hymenoptera. I may just be weird though. If you are having trouble telling them apart I would look at them right next to each other and make a list of things that are different that can help you identify them. I've done that before with some other insects.
DFTBA!
theoriginalweevil
Division: B

Post by theoriginalweevil »

Panda Weasley wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote:So, to get this started, any hints of what to come, or what to look out for?
I got a lot of everything... :D. If you are pressed on time I would focus on all of the big orders (the ones with multiple families listed) and then work your way down to the rarer/less known orders. Besides knowing what the insects are look at different facts about the insects like special things with their anatomy and what not. Anything that makes them special is useful to know.
Quick rant: 2 MINUTES PER STATION WITH WITH AN AVERAGE OF ~6 QUESTIONS PER STATION!
I actually found it helpful to learn it the other way around. Each order has its unique, distinctive traits and usually easily recognizable. Whereas one might have trouble telling apart all those flies or beetles...but maybe it's just me.

But side-by-side comparisons, and a list of each family's unique traits (like Panda said in the post above) will help a lot.

And then Quizlet, of course. Quizlet is most helpful.
:D
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

theoriginalweevil wrote:And then Quizlet, of course. Quizlet is most helpful.
YES!
DFTBA!

Return to “2015 Study Events”