Entomology B/C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Panda Weasley »

theoriginalweevil wrote:I didn't even tab mine this year. I knew my cheat sheet front to back, and I had the page numbers on it. The tabs got wrinkled, fell out, or otherwise didn't cooperate (groan).
Mine is only tabbed because I'm using the same guide as last year! We bought some tabs that seem to be really durable because they're still holding up. Tip for people who are tabbing: Put a piece of tape on top of the tab where it connects to the page. This will help it stay on through heavy use.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
RontgensWallaby
State: GA
Been thanked: 0

Post by RontgensWallaby »

I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

RontgensWallaby wrote:I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Can you please state who you are replying to? I think you may have skipped some pages.
DFTBA!
RontgensWallaby

Panda Weasley wrote:
RontgensWallaby wrote:I seriously doubt they will, especially considering that it's Nationals. Same goes for putting plant bugs rather than Miridae and Tenthredinidae rather than Tenthedinidae but I think just putting "paper wasps" for Vespidae should still be fine.
Can you please state who you are replying to? I think you may have skipped some pages.
Sorry. Looked at the last post on the first page.
On another note, is anyone bringing a different resource to Nationals than the Audubon?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA

Post by theoriginalweevil »

For those of you still competing in Ento, or just got an attachment to bugs and want to learn more for studying's sake, here's a community-based website full of pictures (identified by experts/professionals) of insects. It's really good because you get to see more different ones you might not find in the Audubon book (or anywhere else, really) which is very limited.

It's mostly reliable, but as it says on its disclaimer, it's still amateur-based.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/52/bgpage
:D
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

theoriginalweevil wrote:For those of you still competing in Ento, or just got an attachment to bugs and want to learn more for studying's sake, here's a community-based website full of pictures (identified by experts/professionals) of insects. It's really good because you get to see more different ones you might not find in the Audubon book (or anywhere else, really) which is very limited.

It's mostly reliable, but as it says on its disclaimer, it's still amateur-based.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/52/bgpage
Oh yeah this website is awesome! I used it a lot when making my flashcards.
DFTBA!
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

What is the function of Siricidae's horn? I can't find it anywhere. Also, in female Siricidaes, which abdominal projection is the ovipositor?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
RontgensWallaby

I believe that it is used to lay their eggs deep in solid wood, indicating that it might be the ovipositor itself.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

RontgensWallaby wrote:
SOnerd wrote:What is the function of Siricidae's horn? I can't find it anywhere. Also, in female Siricidaes, which abdominal projection is the ovipositor?
I believe that it is used to lay their eggs deep in solid wood, indicating that it might be the ovipositor itself.
But aren't the horn and ovipositor 2 different things?
DFTBA!
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

Panda Weasley wrote:
RontgensWallaby wrote:
SOnerd wrote:What is the function of Siricidae's horn? I can't find it anywhere. Also, in female Siricidaes, which abdominal projection is the ovipositor?
But aren't the horn and ovipositor 2 different things?
Yes they are. Both sexes have the horn, only female has ovipositor.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

Return to “2015 Study Events”