Entomology B/C

Locked
globetrotter
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 8:31 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by globetrotter » February 23rd, 2015, 11:41 pm

For people who took Ento at state level, were the tests still all multiple choice or did they introduce free response?

User avatar
Panda Weasley
Member
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 6:24 am
Division: C
Location: Ravenclaw Tower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Panda Weasley » February 24th, 2015, 7:14 am

globetrotter wrote:For people who took Ento at state level, were the tests still all multiple choice or did they introduce free response?
At least at my state it was a mix of both. It was pretty much the same as regionals except that there were live specimens as well.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

User avatar
boomvroomshroom
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 19th, 2015, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by boomvroomshroom » February 25th, 2015, 9:36 am

The tests I've seen are mainly ID-based (so mostly FRQ, with a few matching/MC)

embokim
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 24th, 2013, 3:17 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: between weird and genius
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by embokim » March 3rd, 2015, 3:11 pm

My state test was the same as regionals but with live specimens and they introduced internal anatomy as well. :D
Happy to be here

6nusher
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: October 18th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by 6nusher » March 7th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Does anyone actually know how to identify Nymphalidae (with just a normal picture that doesn't show you how many legs it has)?

ceg7654
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: December 2nd, 2013, 11:02 am
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by ceg7654 » March 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Does the order Orthoptera undergo gradual metamorphosis(paurometabolous) or incomplete metamorphosis(hemimetabolous)? I've seen multiple sources with different answers.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult

User avatar
Panda Weasley
Member
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 6:24 am
Division: C
Location: Ravenclaw Tower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Panda Weasley » March 10th, 2015, 1:27 pm

ceg7654 wrote:Does the order Orthoptera undergo gradual metamorphosis(paurometabolous) or incomplete metamorphosis(hemimetabolous)? I've seen multiple sources with different answers.
I'm fairly certain they are hemimetabolous.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

User avatar
Ripplestar
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 4:35 pm
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Ripplestar » March 11th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Panda Weasley wrote:
ceg7654 wrote:Does the order Orthoptera undergo gradual metamorphosis(paurometabolous) or incomplete metamorphosis(hemimetabolous)? I've seen multiple sources with different answers.
I'm fairly certain they are hemimetabolous.
Hemimetabolous.

Fulgorid_weevil
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: March 13th, 2015, 12:09 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Fulgorid_weevil » March 13th, 2015, 12:13 pm

NoL617 wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote:So, to get this started, any hints of what to come, or what to look out for?
On soinc.org under B or C events, go to the Entomology link. There is a list of all of the insects that you will need to know for the upcoming competitions.
I placed first in regionals for entomology, and basically, BEETLES BEETLES BEELTES. It's always that beetles, and I suggest that you sharpen your Diptera skills as well. It's also good to just know random facts, as that helped me and my partner a lot.
Scioly can be our always
2015: Entomology (1) Green Generation (3) Picture This (10) Fossils (13)
2014: Disease Detectives, Entomology (15), Wheeled Vehicle omg lol i sucked in 6th grade

User avatar
Ripplestar
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 4:35 pm
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by Ripplestar » March 14th, 2015, 10:11 am

Fulgorid_weevil wrote:
NoL617 wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote:So, to get this started, any hints of what to come, or what to look out for?
On soinc.org under B or C events, go to the Entomology link. There is a list of all of the insects that you will need to know for the upcoming competitions.
I placed first in regionals for entomology, and basically, BEETLES BEETLES BEELTES. It's always that beetles, and I suggest that you sharpen your Diptera skills as well. It's also good to just know random facts, as that helped me and my partner a lot.
Know your Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Lepidoptera well. They will almost definitely be on the test.

Locked

Return to “2015 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest