Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Green Generation B/C

Post by c-trast »

Life tables?
'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

c-trast wrote:Life tables?
Yeah, I think so.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
c-trast

Post by c-trast »

Welp, super late reply, but let's go and see how much of this I don't know.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have the test, maybe?

The population column gets filled out taking the death info into account. So 50000-37500=12500, 12500-7500=5000, and so on.

The qx is the mortality rate, or deaths in a certain age group divided by population in a certain age group. So 37500/50000=.75, 7500/12500=.6, and so on.

The dx is the amount of deaths in an age group relative to how many original organisms there were (50000). So it's just deaths in a certain age group divided by 50000. So 7500/50000=.15, and so on. The lx is similar to dx, except now it's how many survived in an age group relative to how many original organisms there were (50000). So 12500/50000=.25, and so on.

Then just keep filling out the table.

The graph should have the age on the x-axis, and the population on the y-axis, because the age influences the population count.

I think it's a Type III curve.
'16 Ward Melville

Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Any excellent study guides and resources you guys recommend?
Thanks!
c-trast

Post by c-trast »

Definitely an APES review book. Princeton or Barron's look good...I used Princeton, and I think it's better. Barron's is here: https://sites.google.com/a/cherrycreeks ... xam-review - might be too lengthy, based on when you have regionals/states. Don't look at the first few pages (earth science stuff with rocks), mining, and the energy chapter (sans nuclear, that's on the rules).

Pretty much anything APES related. Heck, even the Training Handout stole stuff from some of the most popular APES study guides...the resources on the SOINC website are good.

Bioremediation, Google it! Mycoremediation, phytoremediation, bioaugmentation, etc. Make sure to know your lake and ocean zones! Stuff as many laws as you can on your cheat sheet. Know the six criteria pollutants. Know your cycles.

I don't know if this worked at all, but I went on YouTube and used some lectures from APES teachers. They're good for a basic intro into the topic. Vance Kite: https://www.youtube.com/user/lab2oh7

I don't want to call this event 'APES', just how Chem Lab people might study AP Chem stuff, and Cell Bio people study AP Bio stuff, but it seems valid enough. Just make sure to do outside research.
'16 Ward Melville

megan
State: OH

Post by megan »

Anybody know what formulas/computations might come up on a test? I was at the Wright State University invitational a week and a half ago and there were definitely some questions that involved some type of formula that you had to know, but I can't remember what the questions were asking. The only thing I can think of is Hamilton's Rule maybe?
"For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth." --n.t.

Green Generation
Dynamic Planet
Mission Possible
mineturtle314
Division: B
State: CA

Post by mineturtle314 »

Remember to put history and timelines on your cheat sheet. At state they may ask you questions about history and dates of acts passed about the environment.
Green Generation, Invasive Species, Can't Judge a Powder, and Meteorology.
Its amazing what a "hello" can lead to.
BlueBlur107

Post by BlueBlur107 »

Anyone have a solid cheat sheet they are confident in yet? If so if I could check it out that would be chill. Also anyone have printouts of solid notes?
MariaK

Post by MariaK »

What will appear more often: the general principles of ecology or Part 2 and 3, that deals with environmental problems and solutions?
Any guesses?
2nd year of Green Generation
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

MariaK wrote:What will appear more often: the general principles of ecology or Part 2 and 3, that deals with environmental problems and solutions?
Any guesses?
2nd year of Green Generation
Although this could very well depend on the event supervisor, I would assume (and hope) that the focus would be on parts 2 and 3 rather than part 1, seeing as how those two parts are the reason why it was made an official event as opposed to just putting ecology back in.

Return to “2015 Study Events”