theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by theoriginalweevil »

tinywings wrote:
jkr_pw wrote:So my regionals was last week (western Long Island) and my partner and I were really surprised when we got the test- 90 questions of multiple choice, and 10 short answer questions that required no more than 5 word responses. We were expecting something station-based with more application involved, like the rules specified. What format were other regional tests done in? What can we expect at states?
My regionals had stations, all application. It was incredibly chaotic and poorly organized by the event supervisors. We were only given 5 minutes per station, which is a ridiculously small amount of time, considering some stations asked a lot, for example, one station required a graph with 23 plot points and questions to answer about the graph. I personally believe and hope that they will not attempt stations at States. It's just too messy and chaotic, IMO.
My regionals (this year, and years before) were all station multiple-choice. 5 questions per station, 2 minutes per station. Southern California states is generally short-answer or essay and (in my experience) a bit more informal.

My suggestion is that you work on answering in short essay/answer paragraph form, work extra with diagrams, and stick the formulas on the cheat sheet (but know how to use them quickly).The multiple choice will come with that practice. Take time to work with your partner, know them well, and find a way to agree when you disagree on the answer. Try to save rock-paper-scissors dispute resolution as your last resort. ;)
:D
tinywings

Post by tinywings »

What resources have you guys been using? Also, how did you guys organize your cheat sheet? Our's was pretty much useless during regionals, as we relied heavily on stuff we already knew and tried to apply it. Would one recommend just putting definitions, or perhaps notes, or something else?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by azuritemalachite »

tinywings wrote:What resources have you guys been using? Also, how did you guys organize your cheat sheet? Our's was pretty much useless during regionals, as we relied heavily on stuff we already knew and tried to apply it. Would one recommend just putting definitions, or perhaps notes, or something else?
Put formulas, and things you will likely not know like was a spilling wave is or what makes up siliceous ooze.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
theoriginalweevil

tinywings wrote:What resources have you guys been using? Also, how did you guys organize your cheat sheet? Our's was pretty much useless during regionals, as we relied heavily on stuff we already knew and tried to apply it. Would one recommend just putting definitions, or perhaps notes, or something else?
My cheat sheet was in 6-point font. We used color-coding, bolding/italicizing/underlining the text. The cheat sheet itself was in powerpoint format, a big block of words, no margins. On the edges were the pictures/diagrams for reference. Each image was about 1 inch wide, all touching. The great thing about using the software is that you can rotate and collage how you want. The order of the material was in the order we learned it in, because that's how it worked for us. I know some alphabetize theirs, but putting related information together was our priority.

Get rid of your good grammar/unnecessary words. (Usually) states are short-answers and diagram-readers, so definitions along with example diagrams would be helpful.
FatPygidum

Post by FatPygidum »

Hi, friends. I would like to know specifically what oceanic tools to study. Much appreciation would I have, if answer you guys could. ;)
theoriginalweevil

FatPygidum wrote:Hi, friends. I would like to know specifically what oceanic tools to study. Much appreciation would I have, if answer you guys could. ;)
It depends on your director. Are you talking about using the tools, or how scientists use the tools?

For example, this hydrometer showed up on my regionals. The event coordinator told us a month before the competition so we were able to get some and use them.

Each test varies and it will never hurt to learn more about them. Are you familiar with rosettes bottles, secchi disks, nansen bottles?

A quick search of "oceanagraphy tools" turns up a lot of results, which you can read through.
doublelift
State: TX

Post by doublelift »

What kinds of calculation questions have you guys come across? Basically all I've seen are buoyancy problems and some wave stuff. Are there more advanced topics that anyone has seen?

Also has anyone encountered lab/practical applications? Thanks!
roller coaster is my favorite event
snluo
State: NY

Post by snluo »

There are so many graphs! I have trouble sorting out what I need and what I don't need.

Ok, I have no idea on what the answer to this question is:

_______________________________________________ LAND

-------------------------
| GROIN |

So above is my bad computer drawing of a groin. If a groin was placed there, then which area(s) of water would be saltier & which area(s) of water would be less saltier?

I think that was the question, and I can't find ANYTHING on groins so someone help me?
B Division 2015 Regionals and States
Fossils 1st, 6th (stupid plants... :x )
Dynamic Planet 2nd, 7th
Potions and Poisons (trial) dropped, 17th :|

C Division 2016 Regionals
Fossils --
Dynamic Planet --
Protein Modeling --
Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

snluo wrote:There are so many graphs! I have trouble sorting out what I need and what I don't need.

Ok, I have no idea on what the answer to this question is:

_______________________________________________ LAND

| GROIN |

So above is my bad computer drawing of a groin. If a groin was placed there, then which area(s) of water would be saltier & which area(s) of water would be less saltier?

I think that was the question, and I can't find ANYTHING on groins so someone help me?
I think we'd have to know in which direction the water is flowing along the coastline first?
mandjef1
State: MI

Post by mandjef1 »

What are the necessary oceanic tools to know?

Return to “2015 Study Events”