Dynamic Planet B/C

ScottA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by ScottA »

JT016 wrote:Anyone know where I can find the Answer Key for the Southeastern Pennsylvania 2008 Regional test? I get a 404 error when I click on it :\
Also, I did Dynamic Planet(Glaciers) over the past 2 years, but the rules are different this year. The rule book says we'll have timed stations, but doesn't say how much time. I'm guessing the time will vary at regionals/invitationals, but I was wondering if anyone had any more info about the stations? Thanks in advance!

I found it at http://scioly.org/wiki/images/images/4/ ... _ocean.pdf
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

ScottA wrote:
JT016 wrote:Anyone know where I can find the Answer Key for the Southeastern Pennsylvania 2008 Regional test? I get a 404 error when I click on it :\
Also, I did Dynamic Planet(Glaciers) over the past 2 years, but the rules are different this year. The rule book says we'll have timed stations, but doesn't say how much time. I'm guessing the time will vary at regionals/invitationals, but I was wondering if anyone had any more info about the stations? Thanks in advance!

I found it at http://scioly.org/wiki/images/images/4/ ... _ocean.pdf
Thanks, ScottA. I fixed the link in the Test Exchange.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

I was browsing around for Topo Features stuff, and I found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... _landforms) list of topographic features associated with oceans and coasts.
I'm planning to make a "glossary of topographic features" for my notes using this list (and a few others, as this list does not include landforms such as continental margin {etc}).
Does this sound like a good idea?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by azuritemalachite »

SOnerd wrote:I was browsing around for Topo Features stuff, and I found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... _landforms) list of topographic features associated with oceans and coasts.
I'm planning to make a "glossary of topographic features" for my notes using this list (and a few others, as this list does not include landforms such as continental margin {etc}).
Does this sound like a good idea?
Great idea: I'm probably gonna do the same thing...
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Aside from buoyancy force, simple wave equations (v = (f)(lambda), etc) and some kinematics, what other equations are you guys putting on your sheet?

Also, I've been to 2 invitationals and both tests were vastly different. One was very representative of the "problem solving" approach outlined in the rules, and we had to make graphs, extrapolate data, calculate continental drift, etc. The other was mostly recall, with a few simple buoyancy force problems thrown in at the end. Like a lot of people here, I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to focus on math/problem solving or recall. Any tips?
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

fishman100 wrote:Aside from buoyancy force, simple wave equations (v = (f)(lambda), etc) and some kinematics, what other equations are you guys putting on your sheet?

Also, I've been to 2 invitationals and both tests were vastly different. One was very representative of the "problem solving" approach outlined in the rules, and we had to make graphs, extrapolate data, calculate continental drift, etc. The other was mostly recall, with a few simple buoyancy force problems thrown in at the end. Like a lot of people here, I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to focus on math/problem solving or recall. Any tips?
Depends on which you're worse at, I guess. Personally, I think you can get away with ditching more of the math because it's something you can figure out (scioly test writers are not supposed to make the math super complicated - they're more concerned with your reasoning skills). But you want to know the information because that's a little harder to BS.
BSchiffer
State: IL

Post by BSchiffer »

What formulas should we know for buoyancy? What types of problems could they possibly ask? I am having trouble finding example problems on the practice tests...
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

BSchiffer wrote:What formulas should we know for buoyancy? What types of problems could they possibly ask? I am having trouble finding example problems on the practice tests...
You should be able to derive everything from density=mass/volume. Buoyant force is just the difference between the volume of fluid displaced and gravitational force. Anything else you should be able to find from dimensional analysis.
BSchiffer
State: IL

Post by BSchiffer »

Alright, thanks! Also, does anyone know whether we should know about El nino/La nina for division C Dynamic Planet? It doesn't seem to be in the list of topics, but I feel like it is an important part of oceanography.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

BSchiffer wrote:Alright, thanks! Also, does anyone know whether we should know about El nino/La nina for division C Dynamic Planet? It doesn't seem to be in the list of topics, but I feel like it is an important part of oceanography.
Yeah, although its not listed, its an important phenomenon in physical oceanography. I know I'm going to put in the time to grab information on it.

Return to “2015 Study Events”