bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by bernard »

John Richardsim wrote:Does anyone know what oceanography focused on during the 2008 season?
Both 2008 and 2015 rules have a focus on physical and geological oceanography but the topics listed under Section 3 are somewhat different. Topics for 2008 included: seawater, salinity and sources of salt, measuring seawater properties, three-layered structural zones, plate boundaries, meterology, waves, currents, circulation, sediments, tides, and coastlines.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
JT016
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JT016 »

What kind of graphs/pictures are you planning on putting on your note sheets?
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

JT016 wrote:What kind of graphs/pictures are you planning on putting on your note sheets?
salinity, topography, etc.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
JT016

Post by JT016 »

azuritemalachite wrote:
JT016 wrote:What kind of graphs/pictures are you planning on putting on your note sheets?
Alright. Thanks for the help!
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

JT016 wrote:
azuritemalachite wrote:
Alright. Thanks for the help!
yw! Also diagrams really help.
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
cardboardbelt

Post by cardboardbelt »

So what exactly would probeware be like for the competition? How do we prepare for something like that? Also, are there any places with old tests other than the two on this site?
rockster

Post by rockster »

Ok so this is my first time doing this and I am completely confused on what exactly we are doing here... could someone please help?
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cardboardbelt wrote:So what exactly would probeware be like for the competition? How do we prepare for something like that? Also, are there any places with old tests other than the two on this site?
I think rfscoach said something about this on here earlier.
rockster wrote:Ok so this is my first time doing this and I am completely confused on what exactly we are doing here... could someone please help?
Have you competed in Science Olympiad before, or not at all until this year? Have you read the wiki and the rules? Past that, Look things up through the rules and wiki as much as possible (I'll confess I don't really know how to study for this event either :mrgreen: )
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rockster

Post by rockster »

Unome wrote:
cardboardbelt wrote:So what exactly would probeware be like for the competition? How do we prepare for something like that? Also, are there any places with old tests other than the two on this site?
rockster wrote:Ok so this is my first time doing this and I am completely confused on what exactly we are doing here... could someone please help?
Have you competed in Science Olympiad before, or not at all until this year? Have you read the wiki and the rules? Past that, Look things up through the rules and wiki as much as possible (I'll confess I don't really know how to study for this event either :mrgreen: )

well I competed last year and did rocks and minerals and write it do it, but since r&m isn't a choice this year and my teacher gave widi to the freshman, I'm doing fossils, which you said I should do lie r&m... but with this.... all I can think is that I should just study and try to remember as much as possible and fit as much as possible on the sheet... but thank you for your help... :D
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

rockster wrote:
Unome wrote:

well I competed last year and did rocks and minerals and write it do it, but since r&m isn't a choice this year and my teacher gave widi to the freshman, I'm doing fossils, which you said I should do lie r&m... but with this.... all I can think is that I should just study and try to remember as much as possible and fit as much as possible on the sheet... but thank you for your help... :D
If you look at the rules there are topics that might be on the test, so learn those, not study absently mindlessly. Even though it says that it isn't going to be a memorizing kind of event anymore, study the vocab like 110% because you never know if there is going to be vocab that is obscure. My coach has been focusing a lot on the mathematical part of it which is terribly confusing, but I think coastal and shoreline erosional and regular features are important as well as the zones of the ocean (very indepth ones) and oceanic features. i'll attach some diagrams to help. One way I found helpful was using internet sources for diagrams and such and referring to the geo-textbook.

Also... For tests just search up oceanography tests and you'll find college-level tests even though some are multiple choice.
Attachments
LittoralZoneDiag.jpg
Picture1.jpg
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 4168 times

Return to “2015 Study Events”