Dynamic Planet B/C

boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by boomvroomshroom »

fishman100 wrote:Aside from buoyancy force, simple wave equations (v = (f)(lambda), etc) and some kinematics, what other equations are you guys putting on your sheet?

Also, I've been to 2 invitationals and both tests were vastly different. One was very representative of the "problem solving" approach outlined in the rules, and we had to make graphs, extrapolate data, calculate continental drift, etc. The other was mostly recall, with a few simple buoyancy force problems thrown in at the end. Like a lot of people here, I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to focus on math/problem solving or recall. Any tips?
Depends on which you're worse at, I guess. Personally, I think you can get away with ditching more of the math because it's something you can figure out (scioly test writers are not supposed to make the math super complicated - they're more concerned with your reasoning skills). But you want to know the information because that's a little harder to BS.
BSchiffer
State: IL

Post by BSchiffer »

What formulas should we know for buoyancy? What types of problems could they possibly ask? I am having trouble finding example problems on the practice tests...
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

BSchiffer wrote:What formulas should we know for buoyancy? What types of problems could they possibly ask? I am having trouble finding example problems on the practice tests...
You should be able to derive everything from density=mass/volume. Buoyant force is just the difference between the volume of fluid displaced and gravitational force. Anything else you should be able to find from dimensional analysis.
BSchiffer
State: IL

Post by BSchiffer »

Alright, thanks! Also, does anyone know whether we should know about El nino/La nina for division C Dynamic Planet? It doesn't seem to be in the list of topics, but I feel like it is an important part of oceanography.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

BSchiffer wrote:Alright, thanks! Also, does anyone know whether we should know about El nino/La nina for division C Dynamic Planet? It doesn't seem to be in the list of topics, but I feel like it is an important part of oceanography.
Yeah, although its not listed, its an important phenomenon in physical oceanography. I know I'm going to put in the time to grab information on it.
mandjef1
State: MI

Post by mandjef1 »

Does anybody know of some good practice tests other than the ones on this website?
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by SOnerd »

Hi guys, are we going to have to know how to calculate specific heat? If so, what's the formula?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
jkr_pw
State: NY

Post by jkr_pw »

So my regionals was last week (western Long Island) and my partner and I were really surprised when we got the test- 90 questions of multiple choice, and 10 short answer questions that required no more than 5 word responses. We were expecting something station-based with more application involved, like the rules specified. What format were other regional tests done in? What can we expect at states?
2014 (WLI Regionals, NY States):
Crime Busters (-,5)
Disease Detectives (1, 8 :( )
Dynamic Planet (1,3)
Robo Cross (Sabotaged, 2)

2015:
Bio Process Lab (1,4)
Disease Detectives (1,1)
Dynamic Planet (1,4)
Picture This (-,1)
Robo Cross (1,4)
Missing my favorite CP Weber turkeys way too much tbh
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

jkr_pw wrote:So my regionals was last week (western Long Island) and my partner and I were really surprised when we got the test- 90 questions of multiple choice, and 10 short answer questions that required no more than 5 word responses. We were expecting something station-based with more application involved, like the rules specified. What format were other regional tests done in? What can we expect at states?
All the competitions I've been to this year did not have stations. I think it is hard to create stations when it is pretty pointless. At States there will probably be more of an attempt, but not perfectly executed.
SOnerd wrote:Hi guys, are we going to have to know how to calculate specific heat? If so, what's the formula?
I don't think we'll have to. Focus on buoyancy, wave calculations, etc.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
tinywings

Post by tinywings »

jkr_pw wrote:So my regionals was last week (western Long Island) and my partner and I were really surprised when we got the test- 90 questions of multiple choice, and 10 short answer questions that required no more than 5 word responses. We were expecting something station-based with more application involved, like the rules specified. What format were other regional tests done in? What can we expect at states?
My regionals had stations, all application. It was incredibly chaotic and poorly organized by the event supervisors. We were only given 5 minutes per station, which is a ridiculously small amount of time, considering some stations asked a lot, for example, one station required a graph with 23 plot points and questions to answer about the graph. I personally believe and hope that they will not attempt stations at States. It's just too messy and chaotic, IMO.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to “2015 Study Events”