Fossils B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Fossils B/C

Postby Jim_R » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:29 pm

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby bernard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

GoofyFoofer
Division: C
State: CA

Postby GoofyFoofer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, I guess they've decided they're not just adding a few changes to the final list... :(
Alumnus: Hermosa Valley School, California. Go Dolphins!!!
California Academy of Math and Science. Go Rebels!!!
Medal Count: 10
Wind Power, Ecology, Remote Sensing (why)
:D nuk nuk nuk 我喜歡科學

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm

bernard wrote:The 2015 Official Fossil List is up!

FINALLY! :P
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

ceg7654

Postby ceg7654 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm

So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Anyone know any good starting websites?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm

ceg7654 wrote:So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Recommended resources in the rules are the Smithsonian Fossil Handbook and Fossils CD.
Last edited by bernard on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: -

Postby SOnerd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 pm

bernard wrote:
ceg7654 wrote:So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Recommended resources in the rules are the Smithsonian Fossil Handbook and Fossils CD.

Hey Guys!!
I'm starting Fossils this year after a year of ento, and I was wondering if you are allowed to bring a guide in to the test (I think so..?), and if so, what guide is the best to use?
Also, what are your recommendations for binder size? I have like a 1.5 and a 2 inch..
Lastly, have you used any kind of dividers/similar system of binder organization?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Kokonilly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 pm

SOnerd wrote:
bernard wrote:

Hey Guys!!
I'm starting Fossils this year after a year of ento, and I was wondering if you are allowed to bring a guide in to the test (I think so..?), and if so, what guide is the best to use?
Also, what are your recommendations for binder size? I have like a 1.5 and a 2 inch..
Lastly, have you used any kind of dividers/similar system of binder organization?

DIsclaimer: I did Fossils three years ago and graduated from high school two years ago, so my memory might not be quite up to snuff.

Personally, my recommendation is that you not need a guide at all. Your binder and your knowledge should be the two most useful things; guides can be useful, though, and if I recall correctly I believe we used the Smithsonian guide. I recommend as large a binder as possible -- again, you want this to be the reference you use, so make it comprehensive but well-organized. I devoted a not-so-small part of my life to making the Fossils binder, and we used one page per specimen, with a sort of appendix at the back with other pertinent information.

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 pm

ceg7654 wrote:Anyone know any good starting websites?

Here's one that I think is decent (or at least from the small amount of it that I've read): http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/

Edit: I've been looking at this site a bit more, and if you click the Sci Oly tab on the side of the page, there are some old tests that look pretty good.
Last edited by John Richardsim on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Paleofreakazoid

Postby Paleofreakazoid » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 am

They FINALLY updated the taxonomy! :D

Also lol at the fact that Mucrospirefer's last r is still not italicized :lol:
Dunky for Gold!
Results
User:Paleofreakazoid Wiki

GoofyFoofer

Postby GoofyFoofer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 am

ceg7654 wrote:Anyone know any good starting websites?

I like to use http://www.fossilguy.com/.

GoofyFoofer

Postby GoofyFoofer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Does anybody have any tips for preparing the field guide?
Thanks!

TalGypCal
State: MN

Postby TalGypCal » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Does anyone know if SciOly is going to be distinguishing Eldredgeops from Phacops? As I understand it, if they do, the localities for Phacops would then be much more limited, as generally speaking Phacops is recognized as being very abundant in both Europe and North America, but Struve (1990) restricts Phacops to North Africa and the Middle East. I'm not really sure if this would make a big difference or not (first time competing in fossils-- rocks was my thing before), but I'd still like some clarification. Reassurance that that sort of question would never show up would also be great, though that sort of prediction is hard to make. Thanks!

TalGypCal
State: MN

Postby TalGypCal » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Kokonilly wrote:...I devoted a not-so-small part of my life to making the Fossils binder, and we used one page per specimen, with a sort of appendix at the back with other pertinent information.

So I've been looking through some of the older fossil forums as well, and other people also mention a kind of standard (with some exceptions of course) of generally having one page per specimen--I'm having a really tough time finding that much information for some of them. For example, Rhombopora's information (that I have found so far) is essentially limited to environment, span, and classification. And while I understand that for some fossils, looking through various fossil books might provide an even better overview that whatever you can pick up over the internet, a lot of books don't have a lot of information on certain fossils. When you say "one page" does this include pictures and general anatomy (like general bryozoa stuff, going with my previous example) or am I just doing a super sucky job of finding things? Thanks a bunch :)

ceg7654

Postby ceg7654 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Audubon Fossil Guide VS. Smithsonian Fossil Handbook: which one is better? Or should I get both.....
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult

Return to “2015 Study Events”