Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 13th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Unome wrote:
boomvroomshroom wrote:
coprolite_dipstick wrote:Any tips for memorizing time periods of the organisms in the fossil list?
I don't think you'd need to memorize dates and stuff because various sources give various answers. Just know the important index fossils and you'll be okay.
We've actually gotten a lot of time period questions; however, it's true that many sources give different answers. I just made some assumptions about what time period they were in (also we have a good coach who already had a lot of that info).
I agree with boomvroomshroom. Just put it in your binder and forget about it... and of course do what boomvroomshroom said. You should probably get a BIG geological time scale paper(s).

NOTE: I had to delete Conniving_Vegetable's quote because "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other." Also, what is a "conniving vegetable?"

coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by coprolite_dipstick » March 14th, 2015, 7:18 pm

I don't think you'd need to memorize dates and stuff because various sources give various answers. Just know the important index fossils and you'll be okay.[/quote]
We've actually gotten a lot of time period questions; however, it's true that many sources give different answers. I just made some assumptions about what time period they were in (also we have a good coach who already had a lot of that info).[/quote]
I agree with boomvroomshroom. Just put it in your binder and forget about it... and of course do what boomvroomshroom said. You should probably get a BIG geological time scale paper(s).

NOTE: I had to delete Conniving_Vegetable's quote because "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other." Also, what is a "conniving vegetable?"[/quote]

Thanks! During my regionals competition, there were lots of questions about time periods... they gave a bunch of artists' renditions and asked you to match the time period it belonged to. I have (multiple) different sheets on geologic time scales, but there wasn't a lot of time to really flip around in your binder. :?

Note: I deleted my own quote because "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other." :D
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

coprolite_dipstick

Post by coprolite_dipstick » March 15th, 2015, 2:29 pm

How exactly do you distinguish a Hyracotherium fossil from Equus? They look pretty much the same to me... :?
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 15th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I'll tell you. Just wait as I get my notesheet out...

EDIT: Equus has a single hoof on each foot while Hyracotherium has several toes on each foot.

EDIT: Hyracotherium has a tailbone while Equus has a very short tailbone because its tail was made of... hair, which does not fossilize very well.

boomvroomshroom

Post by boomvroomshroom » March 15th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Plus Equus is bigger. Hyracotherium was about the size of a dog. It was tiny compared to modern horses. Plus the shapes of their heads are different.

jss229438
State: NE

Post by jss229438 » March 16th, 2015, 5:02 am

How would you distinguish between mammut and mammuthus?

-also do you guys recommend any different resources then smithsonitan and Audubon? I have used these sources to build my binder, but I can't find info on some genera. :(

abator
State: OH

Post by abator » March 16th, 2015, 6:24 am

The mammuthus has a high peaked head. The mammut has a low long head. Also the mammuthus is larger in height, and weight.
Placement: Gold: 13 Silver: 4 Bronze: 6 4th: 5 5th: 9 6th: 5 7th: 2 8th: 3
Team Captain 8-)

boomvroomshroom

Post by boomvroomshroom » March 16th, 2015, 9:16 am

jss229438 wrote:How would you distinguish between mammut and mammuthus?

-also do you guys recommend any different resources then smithsonitan and Audubon? I have used these sources to build my binder, but I can't find info on some genera. :(
Wikipedia?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » March 16th, 2015, 1:04 pm

boomvroomshroom wrote:

Wikipedia?
Google is best, but Wikipedia does often have some info.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

coprolite_dipstick

Post by coprolite_dipstick » March 16th, 2015, 3:06 pm

At a Fossils workshop I went to, and they actually recommended Wikipedia as a resource (oddly enough...). For most of the fossils on the list, I would recommend looking into your field guides. You could also check out books from a local library and look for information in there.

Good luck!

Return to “2015 Study Events”