Fossils B/C

JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by JoJoKeKe »

This test was fun- but definitely challenging. We got 37th, which was disappointing, but it was mainly because of the time. There were a couple of stations in particular I remember being difficult.

1. There was a station asking which sample was a worm burrow, that one I just couldn't tell!

2. One looked like a grain of sand, which I assume looking back was Astraeospongia, but I couldn't quite tell. (I think I put that it was in foraminifera. ><)

3. Basilosauridae - I had no clue except that the fossil specimen was a vertebrate...

4. Dinosaurs - I knew all, not enough time...

5. Fenestrae, Branching, and massive - I don't know why I didn't study this...

6. Some of the questions like Are all specimens here in Phylum Bryozoa? were tricky because I felt like there was one specimen in another phylum. ><
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to be a lot more active on the quizzing thread in hopes that I do well. Nice job to all who competed. I'll hopefully be able to study with you all next year!
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

I was one of the Fossils C national supervisors, I checked you guys all in at the door and I graded.

Hope you guys enjoyed the test, I helped write it =)

Sorry the time was so short, we had a bit of a miscommunication. I had intended it to be 2:15 per station but a few of the other supervisors thought that each time slot was 50 minutes and not an hour and they didn't realize until after the first time slot, so the time was a little shorter than I had planned. Still, an extra 15 seconds per station probably wouldn't have changed much and might have caused us to go over time anyway, so it worked out.

The tournament was a blast, and congrats to Iolani for first in Fossils! And congrats to everybody else for other stuff, I guess, haha.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Paleofreakazoid
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

gneissisnice wrote:I was one of the Fossils C national supervisors, I checked you guys all in at the door and I graded.
OMG THAT WAS YOU I WAS THERE

And I thought the timing was just right for the test, it was fantastically written and the specimens were beautiful!
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
JoJoKeKe

Post by JoJoKeKe »

I'm going to be participating in fossils again like I know many of you will also be doing. I came to inquire upon which resources you used to find the common names of all organisms and all major taxonomic ranks, as I could not find either of these online.

Thanks! :D

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

JoJoKeKe wrote:I'm going to be participating in fossils again like I know many of you will also be doing. I came to inquire upon which resources you used to find the common names of all organisms and all major taxonomic ranks, as I could not find either of these online.

Wikipedia and the Taxonomicon http://taxonomicon.taxonomy.nl/TaxonTre ... 0&id=71606 are both very good sources for generally everything in fossils, especially the major taxons.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

JoJoKeKe wrote:I'm going to be participating in fossils again like I know many of you will also be doing. I came to inquire upon which resources you used to find the common names of all organisms and all major taxonomic ranks, as I could not find either of these online.

I relied on Wikipedia heavily for the event, as well as the recommended field guides (which weren't as helpful, but they still work).
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
JoJoKeKe

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Okay. I was making a guide with all the taxonomy of the organisms on the official list but it seemed that Wikipedia was incorrect according to my Field Guide so I had to terminate that idea. Are you 100% certain Wikipedia is correct in the taxonomy? From my experience it appeared that the phylum and class would be correct but past that it would be incorrect. How did you maneuver around this issue?

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

I am working on a quizzer (scioly.club/quiz) for Fossils and would like to hear feedback from more people doing the event. If you have any features you would like to see added, please let me know and I can work on it.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Okay. I was making a guide with all the taxonomy of the organisms on the official list but it seemed that Wikipedia was incorrect according to my Field Guide so I had to terminate that idea. Are you 100% certain Wikipedia is correct in the taxonomy? From my experience it appeared that the phylum and class would be correct but past that it would be incorrect. How did you maneuver around this issue?
With Fossils you can never be sure; the taxonomy varies greatly, and there is often no general consensus on which name is correct (and even if there is, the proctors are usually professors, meaning that they've been involved with fossils in general for a long time, and are likely to use older names that are either no longer used or invalid). The best you can do is to try and guess which names the supervisors will likely use.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JoJoKeKe

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Okay, from your statement it sounds like the proctor will also know that your answer was once an accepted taxonomic rank. Therefore, it seems like there can be multiple correct answers. Thank you, Unome. :)

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4