Fossils B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Unome »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Okay, from your statement it sounds like the proctor will also know that your answer was once an accepted taxonomic rank. Therefore, it seems like there can be multiple correct answers. Thank you, Unome. :)
There's multiple correct answers if the test is good and the test-writer anticipated it; otherwise, you basically have to put down one of the names and hope that's the one on the answer key.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
gryphaea1635
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Hello!
One of my friends is planning to do fossils next year but he's having trouble telling Brachiopods apart... what do you guys do to distinguish them?
Unome

Post by Unome »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Hello!
One of my friends is planning to do fossils next year but he's having trouble telling Brachiopods apart... what do you guys do to distinguish them?
Brachiopods are one of the difficult ones for me as well. Generally the best distinguishers are their shape, for example, the recognizable half circle shape of Leptaena and Juresania (I'd suggest you distinguish those by how much the shell curves and if visible, the spines), and their hinge line, like Mucrospirifer's long one. Just look at images until you can figure it out.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Hello!
If you can identify all the Brachiopods on the official list then you should have no trouble. From my experience there doesn't need to be a specific need to identify features of the various phyla. However, it's good to have a page on how paleontologists identify each phyla in case it comes up on a test just to be sure. Unome's tips would also point you in the right direction.

------------------------------------------

Where were you guys able to find an informal name for all the fossil specimens on the list. (Website, book, etc.)

Thank you! :D
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Unome

Post by Unome »

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Hello!
If you can identify all the Brachiopods on the official list then you should have no trouble. From my experience there doesn't need to be a specific need to identify features of the various phyla. However, it's good to have a page on how paleontologists identify each phyla in case it comes up on a test just to be sure. Unome's tips would also point you in the right direction.

------------------------------------------

Where were you guys able to find an informal name for all the fossil specimens on the list. (Website, book, etc.)

Thank you! :D
I found them all with Google searches.
Userpage

gryphaea1635
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Cool, thanks for replying Unome and JoJoKeKe!
bernard wrote:I am working on a quizzer (scioly.club/quiz) for Fossils and would like to hear feedback from more people doing the event. If you have any features you would like to see added, please let me know and I can work on it.
Anyway, a quizzer should be extremely useful (It helped me a ton when I was studying ento)! :D I personally think that adding the dinosaurs would be a good idea because they seem to be absent from many sources (such as the Audubon Field Guide).
Thank you!
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Cool, thanks for replying Unome and JoJoKeKe!
bernard wrote:I am working on a quizzer (scioly.club/quiz) for Fossils and would like to hear feedback from more people doing the event. If you have any features you would like to see added, please let me know and I can work on it.
Anyway, a quizzer should be extremely useful (It helped me a ton when I was studying ento)! :D I personally think that adding the dinosaurs would be a good idea because they seem to be absent from many sources (such as the Audubon Field Guide).
Thank you!
Omg, an ento person!! Nice signature :D
I think there are Dinos on the quizzer, but you might have to click through a few other pics first.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback for the quizzer! Here are some things that are on my to-do list if I have the ability to do them:
  • review mode that allows users to run through all the fossils in order
  • add items from the "other" section at the end (should it go in the same set as the fossils pictures or in a separate set?)
  • add a mode that helps you learn spelling by either flashing the name on the screen briefly or playing an audio clip of the name being said
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Study Events”